Testing Out The Nouveau Driver On Fedora 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
    Arch seems really cool I will look at it later.
    Arch really has the fastest package manager and the newest version of any software you want. BUT you will have to put your hands to work, it takes some time until you learn how everything works (but at the end it allways works nice!).

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
      I hope so At this point I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow's beta.

I reinstalled F10 686 live cd on my netbook last night. The install itself was quick.

To recreate what I had done before I installed openoffice writer impress and calc. This was surprisingly slow, taking far longer than it took to install Fedora itself. I then installed the download only plugin for yum so i could do a fully cached run.

Then I proceeded In the following manner:

$ yum clean all
      $ time yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update --downloadonly

and then finally:

$ time yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update -y -C

Which seems to fail because of a lack of disk space, though i have 828 MiB free and i went with the default massive swap space of ~3 gb in case having no swap was killing yum performance.

Though it takes just under 13 minutes to realize 828MB of space isn't enough to do the upgrade. Moreover it runs a "transaction test" which seems to proceed just fine and then begins to run the transaction before it fails. That is pretty terrible.

For the fedora users here, I'd appreciate pointers on the following:

1. Am I doing something dumb with yum? Please if I am misusing the tool and that's not how upgrades are done, let me know.

2. Running top showed that yum-backend.py wasn't using that much cpu. Maybe yum is being optimized in the wrong area? the SSD in the Aspire One (I have an A110) is extremely slow. I just can't imagine that debs would be less disk intensive than rpms. The ssd is a piece of crap and the ssd controller in it is know to have really terrible speeds with lots of small files.

3. Is there a daily cd spin of rawhide? I've been able to find a few ones for testing intel kms and nouveau but not a regular daily build. It seems trivial but would mean an awful lot to users who want to contribute more back to upstream.
      If you want to upgrade from F10, you should try the "preupgrade" utility, it's very easy :
      Code:
      yum install preupgrade

Comment

Originally posted by jazzor View Post
        I can see that their 20 second startup is really coming along nicely...only about 100 seconds to shave off.

If they do actually achieve 20 second startup, I dont think anyone would actually care if it flickered or not.
        Its an live-cd.

Comment

It looks very nice, but why on earth is booting so incredibly, insanely, slow?! Did you run the demo on some ancient hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by snogglethorpe View Post
            It looks very nice, but why on earth is booting so incredibly, insanely, slow?! Did you run the demo on some ancient hardware?
            It seems the demo is running from a Live-CD, which could explain why it's so slow...

Comment

cd is usally really slow, but in some cases you can use a usb storage media too for live mode and that gives incredible speed improvements. Also hd install from a fast usb media is often possible in less than 2 mins!

Comment

Indeed, LiveUSB is insane. Not only as installation media (where it blows CDs away), but also as recovery media. I always carry an Ubuntu stick with me, just in case

Comment

To take a few points

As others have noted, the boot is slow because it's running from a live CD.

remco, multi-monitor support is mostly working well - it's RandR 1.2 - but has the same problem the intel driver had until very recently: no dynamic framebuffer resizing. Basically, as you had to with the intel driver, you have to add a Virtual line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to set the framebuffer to the correct resolution for the two monitors combined. This will be fixed in future, but sadly not yet.

Michael, as giallu says, please file a bug on the default resolution issue if you haven't already. We really need bugs to be filed to fix any problems Please include the /var/log/Xorg.0.log from the boot.

sreyan, no, at present there isn't a daily build of Rawhide live. the main problem is actually finding somewhere with space to upload one...at present we're doing one at least once a week, for test days.

Comment

How does the dual dvi work you need for a 30" monitor? Do you have to use the 2 dvi ports on your videocard? Would that mean that you can only use 1 30" monitor or 2 24" inch monitors?

Comment

Dual Link DVI - see for example the description at Wikipedia.

Dual Link DVI takes only one cable, but it has more pins than a single Link DVI in order to double the bandwidth.

Comment

Working...
                      X