Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

Phoronix: An Early Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

Sun Microsystems has been hard at work on their OpenSolaris 2009.06 operating system, and Solaris Express Community Edition (SXCE) for which it is based. This week marked the release of Solaris Express Community Edition Build 110 and the crew at Genunix have spun a new preview build of OpenSolaris 2009.06 atop this latest build, which we decided to try out this evening and have provided a few screenshots.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm. I think it looks very sleek

Comment

Anyone knows if there's any support for bluetooth now? Last time I tried OpenSolaris it would not recognise the embedded bluetooth controller of my laptop...

Comment

What about driver state ?
        Are things such as KMS (linux specific ?), or uvc for webcams and so on, supported under opensolaris ?
        What about zfs performance under opensolaris against usual linux ones?

Comment

Apparently ZFS performance is supposed to be very high compared to any other file systems. I'm installing it on an AMD system as soon as my drives arrive so I can perhaps do some PTS tests. Does PTS have an idiot proof GUI yet?

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
            Apparently ZFS performance is supposed to be very high compared to any other file systems. I'm installing it on an AMD system as soon as my drives arrive so I can perhaps do some PTS tests. Does PTS have an idiot proof GUI yet?
            Yep: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15854

But you need PHP GTK installed.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
              What about driver state ?
              Are things such as KMS (linux specific ?), or uvc for webcams and so on, supported under opensolaris ?
              What about zfs performance under opensolaris against usual linux ones?
              Personally I find the drivers support nowadays to be quite good. For some ethernet cards you will have to download drivers from: http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

The other historically weak spot was the audio drivers, but this has been improved with the newer audiohd and soon will be much much improved with the coming of Boomer (OSS4 based next-gen audio for OpenSolaris), which will be introduced in b115 or so. Boomer beta drivers are readily available for testing.

KMS is not yet there. ZFS performance is great, but that's not the biggest benefit in my opinion, the best things are the snapshots/clones and how the boot environments are managed using them (i.e. you are always guaranteed to have a working boot environment even if upgrade fails, or you accidentally erased/messed up some drivers/root files/configs/etc..)

Can't say about how wide is the range of supported webcams, but mine is supported (Logitech QuickCam 9000 Pro) and works well.
              Last edited by etacarinae; 29 March 2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                Anyone knows if there's any support for bluetooth now? Last time I tried OpenSolaris it would not recognise the embedded bluetooth controller of my laptop...
                Bluetooth support is quite limited, I think a bluetooth mouse should work:

Comment

Hmm...this would be nice to play with on my Thinkpad

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    Hmm...this would be nice to play with on my Thinkpad
                    Btw, I'm on Thinkpad T61, and everything is supported out of the box, i.e. card reader,
                    suspend to RAM (you have to add one line to /etc/power.conf though), cpu & hdd power management, wifi, audio, ethernet, ...

Comment

Working...
                    X