Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.4 Released, Fixes The 7.3 Bugs

Phoronix: Mesa 7.4 Released, Fixes The 7.3 Bugs

Just a bit more than two months have passed since Mesa 7.3 was released (and about one week since the first 7.4 release candidate), but this evening Brian Paul announced the final release of Mesa 7.4. This new Mesa release incorporates bug-fixes since the 7.3 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great !

It gives me a 40% faster glxgears on my r3xx radeon !
    Wonderful !

At the same time, full-HD videos are still not supported while flash fullscreen ones are becoming watchable without a lot of tearing and a really low framerate.

Waiting for Mesa 7.5 and the DRI2 radeon driver now !

By the way, I have a strange (but really good) behavior. According to my Xorg logs, I haven't any DRI2 capabilities. But, my videos and glxgears are looking great on the cube (they are at the right place, not painted on the front buffer anymore).
    How is it possible ?? Wasn't it supposed to be DRI2's work ?

Comment

Yeah, it's not supposed to do that yet

Which distro are you running ?
      Test signature

Comment

I'm running ArchLinux.
        Here are the packages versions :

xorg-server 1.6.0-1
        mesa 7.4-0 --> It also worked with the 7.3.0 version
        xf86-video-ati 6.12.0-1 --> It also worked with the 6.11.0 version
        libdrm 2.4.5-2

It works with the 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 kernel versions.

In case you ask, ArchLinux tries to stay as vanilla as possible.
        I checked, there are not patches or anything that could lead to this behavior.

It also seems like Rendering to Redirected works well because Firefox's scrolling is as fast with compiz than with metacity.
        Last edited by MuPuF; 27 March 2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Lighting (i think?) in doom3 is broken for me on r200. (self compiled mesa-7.4, other games seems OK).

P.S. No, No, dynamic ligthing is now really broken everywhere not just in doom3, spoted in every single quake3 based games i have.

I knew probably what is wrong here, because every time i've seen "bugfix" in core is about "reference counting":

Fixed bad reference counting for 1D/2D texture arrays

that is very bad for r200 driver. Just like:

Implement mutex/locking around texture object reference counting.

And i hope those will never be fixed...
          Last edited by dungeon; 28 March 2009, 01:50 AM.

Comment

@M?P?F, I think you are using the catalyst driver http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...omposite&num=1 or some unreleased code hehe

Comment

@KDesk : No, I don't. I've been using radeon for almost a year now.
              Moreover, I'm running a 2.6.29 kernel and xserver 1.6. Both are incompatible with the latest AMD's driver.

Here is a part of my Xorg log :
              (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
              (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so

You can see it here : http://pastebin.com/m1c2818ef

Everyone agrees it is strange so. I can do a screencast if you want. But I can assure you, this is REALLY great !! Every single animation is so smoooooooooth ! And the CPU load while playing with compiz approaches 0 !
              Last edited by MuPuF; 28 March 2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

One more regression

Seems to fonts now have some weird "filtering" or maybe that is another bug? Anyway, these fonts are really bad! Again that is not just in RTCW, the same is in Doom3 too.

mesa-7.3

mesa-7.4

Is there anybody who can now clearly read what are mission objectivites in here?

So, i don't know how this can be called "just" bug fix release?
                Last edited by dungeon; 28 March 2009, 06:27 AM.

Comment

It has been released for the spring distributions anyway I think.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Seems to fonts now have some weird "filtering" or maybe that is another bug? Anyway, these fonts are really bad! Again that is not just in RTCW, the same is in Doom3 too.
                    Have you filled a bug on http://bugs.freedesktop.org ?

I'm sorry, I can't try it out because I can't play with my XPress 200M (I can barely play on TeeWorlds in window mode in 640*480).
                    Last edited by MuPuF; 28 March 2009, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X