No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just switched to nvidia 2 weeks ago. Sorry ATI, you are too late.

Comment

For me this release is about perfect, it solve the last few bug I have until now, I have activated again Kwin composition by default. Congratulation AMD!

Using: Ubuntu 8.10, KDE 4.2.1, Radeon 3850.

Bug solved:
      - resizing window with Kwin is now smooth.
      - no more flicker in windowed OpenGL application with Kwin. GoogleEarth run perfect.
      - no more black window in Wine OpenGL application. I can get SketchUp running with Wine 1.1.17

Comment

Originally posted by TheK View Post
        Another bug I'd really really love to get fixed soon is the support for about *any* tv-app without fighting with xorg.conf (which didn't even help me, so I have to use xawtv in a 300*200 window without XV)
        Kaffeine works fine (or atleast worked fine the last time I tried) if you don't use Xv. But I guess OpenGl is a viable option now even with compositing enabled.
        The problem with tv+Xv is that fglrx horribly crashes the Xserver whenever any Xine-based media-player tries to play back an interlaced video (Bug). This can be worked around by enabling deinterlacing sometimes (in Kaffeine this worked for me for a few channels, but not all).

Comment

really the best fglrx release ever
          everything works quite fine (radeon hd4870, ubuntu8.10x64, gnome+compiz)

Comment

@Thingy if your mouse still moves you should be able to do sysrq-key dance. e-i-u-b that should reduce the 'trashing'.
            @Thek I am using tvtime. No 'fighting' with xorg.conf. xawtv stopped working for me a long time ago

Comment

Wow, glxgears now doesn't flicker so badly anymore. Instead it just totally messes up my screen, with parts of windows all over the place and only killing X helps. Never seen anything like it. Video's unchanged: xv is out of place and sometimes crashes X. Somehow my amazement over this release damped down quite quickly. Too bad no one at ATI cares to look at their Linux bug tracker, otherwise I'd complain where this belongs.

Comment

Somehow it seems that Catalyst starts working for me again while at the same time it stops working for other people every 3 or 4 releases

Comment

Originally posted by dcarpenter85 View Post
                  Video playback with VideoOverlay on and opengloverlay off is black, and obviously not composited.
                  Video output through the overlay can not be composited, since it bypasses the frame buffer completely. Can you try with VideoOverlay off and TexturedVideo on ?

The black image is because Compiz over-writes the keying colour which would have otherwise made the video overlay pop up in that area. Video processing via the overlay doesn't fit with composited desktops, that's why we dropped it in later cards..
                  Last edited by bridgman; 28 March 2009, 07:34 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

@bridgman
                    I see people here claiming that window resizes with composite active work for them now while others (including me) are still getting the 1FPS performance while resizing. And still others claim it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

If possible, can you ask around if this was actually supposed to be addressed at all with 9.3?

Comment

Crash when launching CCC

I've just upgraded to 9.3 and I cannot launch CCC. It crashes the system with a black screen. I cannot switch to console - just hard reset.
                      The performance seems similar to 9.2. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on HD2600 Mobility.

Comment

Working...
                      X