No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thingy, does KWin have an option to unredirect fullscreen windows ? If it does, and if the option is enabled, can you try turning it off (ie *don't* unredirect fullscreen windows) to see if that eliminates the freeze ?

For anyone who is *not* seeing OpenGL output composited, can you please reply back to the list with some info about your graphics chip/card/bus ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Thingy, does KWin have an option to unredirect fullscreen windows ? If it does, and if the option is enabled, can you try turning it off (ie *don't* unredirect fullscreen windows) to see if that eliminates the freeze ?

For anyone who is *not* seeing OpenGL output composited, can you please reply back to the list with some info about your graphics chip/card/bus ?
      Seems KDE above 4.2 has unredirect on by default. I see no gui option to change it but will see if I can find out about a hidden option. But that's for tomorrow I'm afraid. Late here now.

Comment

So is this redirected direct rendering available in the ubuntu jaunty 9-4 driver?

Comment

I don't believe so. Most of the code is probably there, but I think it came too late for the Ubuntu driver.
          Test signature

Comment

I don't believe so. Most of the code is probably there, but I think it came too late for the Ubuntu driver.
            Thanks for the clarification. I'll just have to wait for the next official driver release for 2.6.29 support then.

Comment

@bridgeman: Ok, followup to the above. (Didn't wait 'til tomorrow)
              Not sure if this is helpful at all.
              I found the option. I set "UnredirectFullscreen=off" in the [Composite] section of kwinrc and did a little testing with mplayer.
              With this option the system will freeze when I go to fullscreen. 5 out of 6 times I'd get an unresized frame from the video with the rest of the screen blank, 1 out of the 6 tries I got a fullscreen frame. The mouse pointer still moved in 4 out of those tries, but everything else is unresponsive.

When I remove the option. That is, with unredirect turned on, the results look slightly different. Now the freezes lead to a black screen. Only one of the times still showed the mouse pointer. With unredirect on I could go to fullscreen a couple of times without freezing, so seems it happens a little less frequently. (Though there were a limited number of tries of course, small sampling of data.) Once it actually froze on going from fullscreen and back to desktop.

My harddrive was thrashing pretty badly after the last reboot, so I stopped the "tests".

Are there logs somewhere that could be of use and which survive the reboot?

Comment

Radeon 9800XT AGP card

fgl_glxgears crashes my system with no error message, just black screen and im forced to do a hard restart. glxgears works but output is not composited. Video playback with VideoOverlay on and opengloverlay off is black, and obviously not composited. This really sucks since this is the last proprietary driver for my card, and it doesn't even work correctly. Guess ill keep my eyes peeled for dri2 and gallium3d in the open source driver.

Comment

I feel like those of us with cards <Radeon 2000 are in something similar to the "digital transition" phase going on around the world, except this time our graphics cards are becoming obsolete instead of antennas. Where's my upgrade coupons, AMD?

Anyways, neat comparison with the composite support, it looks so much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    ut2004 works flawless with kde4.2.67 and effects turned on
                    So the "transparent splashscreen and then crazy cursor"-bug is gone? Interesting, it still exists in "9.4beta"...

Another bug I'd really really love to get fixed soon is the support for about *any* tv-app without fighting with xorg.conf (which didn't even help me, so I have to use xawtv in a 300*200 window without XV)

Comment

I'm using KDE in Ubuntu 8.10, is anyone else here getting the "black flicker" bug where a quick black flicker shows up every few seconds and your system pauses (hangs?) while it's there?

Comment

Working...
                      X