Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

While the Catalyst driver for Windows was released a number of days ago, the Catalyst Linux driver was missing. It has, however, been released today. AMD's Linux engineers ended up delaying the Catalyst 9.3 release so they could spend additional time tuning this driver, since it will be the last release that supports the R300 through R500 series as the support is being dropped. The significant feature that was pushed back into the Catalyst 9.3 Linux driver is improved Composite support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was really looking forward to this and it did look great too until...

While there are some nice improvements in this Linux driver release, what it continues to lack is support for the Linux 2.6.29 kernel...
    ARRGH!! That's what I wanted more than anything else. No wireless for another month. Gah.

Comment

For almost a full year now I have been using the opensouce driver (Radeon) but for the sake of those users who still use Catalyst AMD/ATI should have at least have added support to xserver 1.6 and 2.6.29 Linux Kernel.

IT would give them sometime until - hopefully - the Radeon opensource driver gets Galium/DRI2 support.
      Last edited by hobbes; 27 March 2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

ARRGH!! That's what I wanted more than anything else. No wireless for another month. Gah.
        You might want to give compat-wireless a shot. You'll have to compile it yourself, but I think that's much more convenient than no wireless. :-)

As for the new catalyst driver: I'm glad my laptop features an integrated intel card besides its FireGL, so I'm able to switch the AMD chip off (switchable graphics *cough*), which gets better performance (that was with 9.2 - with the lack of kernel and X support, I won't even bother trying 9.3) and lower power consumption...

Comment

Good news. But the users of "deprecated" hardware are gonna get pissed. Big time As composite improves over time, they'll be stuck with 9.3 lol.

But anyway, who cares about them. I have a new card so I'm fine. :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Good news. But the users of "deprecated" hardware are gonna get pissed. Big time As composite improves over time, they'll be stuck with 9.3 lol.

But anyway, who cares about them. I have a new card so I'm fine. :P
            In your dreams, man... we have the open driver!

Comment

Did not test much yet, but with every fglrx driver tested so far it is impossible to playback a video with 1280x536 res without a green bar below. No problem with ati oss driver. Card used: HD 3450.
              Last edited by Kano; 27 March 2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Everything working fine here!

Now I can play games while having composite effects!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

compat-wireless ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run

Did not test much yet, but with every fglrx driver tested so far it is impossible to playback a video with 1280x536 res without a green bar below. No problem with ati oss driver. Card used: HD 3450.
                    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but aren't you seeing the green bar at the bottom of the video that's expected when the height isn't a mutiple of 16 (536:16=33,5 here).

If so, it's normal, and also shows up with NVidia proprietary drivers, whatever the OS. Depending on the player there might be a hack to aleviate that, but encoding a video with a height that's not a multiple of 16 is a sign of bad encoding with most codecs (some codecs says a multiple of 8 is ok, but I wouldn't say they never showed that problem).

Why it wouldn't show with the ati opensource drivers is unexpected (unless you use another player, or unless the difference in hw acceleration play a part), but that would be a reason to buy ATI or not, just dump badly encoded video, they don't deserve any better.

Comment

Working...
                    X