Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Default AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

While the Catalyst driver for Windows was released a number of days ago, the Catalyst Linux driver was missing. It has, however, been released today. AMD's Linux engineers ended up delaying the Catalyst 9.3 release so they could spend additional time tuning this driver, since it will be the last release that supports the R300 through R500 series as the support is being dropped. The significant feature that was pushed back into the Catalyst 9.3 Linux driver is improved Composite support.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13632

Hurray! good work michael!

I was really looking forward to this and it did look great too until...

While there are some nice improvements in this Linux driver release, what it continues to lack is support for the Linux 2.6.29 kernel...
    ARRGH!! That's what I wanted more than anything else. No wireless for another month. Gah.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...8&lang=English

"ATI Catalyst™ 9.2 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 79.4MB 9.2 "

no 9.3 to download :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Chewi View Post

ARRGH!! That's what I wanted more than anything else. No wireless for another month. Gah.
    be cool if you use kanotix's installer 2.6.29 works becourse there is a hack!

For almost a full year now I have been using the opensouce driver (Radeon) but for the sake of those users who still use Catalyst AMD/ATI should have at least have added support to xserver 1.6 and 2.6.29 Linux Kernel.

IT would give them sometime until - hopefully - the Radeon opensource driver gets Galium/DRI2 support.
    Last edited by hobbes; 03-27-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewi View Post

You might want to give compat-wireless a shot. You'll have to compile it yourself, but I think that's much more convenient than no wireless. :-)

As for the new catalyst driver: I'm glad my laptop features an integrated intel card besides its FireGL, so I'm able to switch the AMD chip off (switchable graphics *cough*), which gets better performance (that was with 9.2 - with the lack of kernel and X support, I won't even bother trying 9.3) and lower power consumption...

Good news. But the users of "deprecated" hardware are gonna get pissed. Big time As composite improves over time, they'll be stuck with 9.3 lol.

But anyway, who cares about them. I have a new card so I'm fine. :P

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Good news. But the users of "deprecated" hardware are gonna get pissed. Big time As composite improves over time, they'll be stuck with 9.3 lol.

But anyway, who cares about them. I have a new card so I'm fine. :P
    In your dreams, man... we have the open driver!

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run

Did not test much yet, but with every fglrx driver tested so far it is impossible to playback a video with 1280x536 res without a green bar below. No problem with ati oss driver. Card used: HD 3450.
    Last edited by Kano; 03-27-2009 at 03:26 PM.