XRandR Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XRandR Help

I am using debian lenny 5.0 stable release. I am using an ATi Radeon HD4870 and having been trying to get the desktop to span across both monitors. As of now it will only clone the display to both. One is a 22" LCD the other a 19" LCD. ATi drivers are unable to control multiple monitor output with XRandR 1.2 being used. Preferably I would like to disable/remove XRandR and use the ATi driver to control multiple monitors. I have also re-wrote the Xorg.conf file (didn't like the ATi hacked version). I would prefer to use ATi Bigdesktop over xinerama as well. I will be very grateful for any support. Thank you.

I'm not sure, but I think you need to start with an aticonfig --initial=dual-head. Can you use the aticonfig help command to check for more info there ?
    Test signature

Comment

Like i stated. If i use the aticonfig commands it just returns the error saying "Error: Options, e.g. --dtop and --desktop-setup, are not supported when RandR 1.2 is enabled!" I have found nothing documented about disabling or removing randr, nor can i get xrandr to handle multi display properly

xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1680x1680 (desired size 3120x1050)

I dont know if xrandr was present in lenny when it was in testing at the time i used it, but multi display gave no issues.

radeonhd driver is not an option for me as i want 3D acceleration.
      Last edited by monte84; 24 March 2009, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Ok, i got dual monitors to work through xrandr. I had to add virtual 3120 1950 to the subsection "display" of my screen's esction in xorg.conf. However, I do not like the way xrand is handling two screens. It is stretching the wallpaper across both screens as opposed to displaying the same (or different) wallpapers on each screen. Any advice?

Comment

You might need a "Virtual" line in your xorg.conf to set a larger virtual desktop area to fit both screens on. eg:

Virtual 3120 1050

in the "Display" subsection of the "Screen" section.

Edit: you beat me to it
          as for the wallpaper stretching, i've found the best solution is just to manually create an image that's 3120x1050

Comment

well, i restarted x now it will no longer drag windows across desktops, the mouse works fine and it was working fine before I restrted x. i am running compiz.

Still nothing on how to disable RandR 1.2 or uninstall?

Comment

I have almost same configuration and same problem.
              Is there any answer to this?

Comment

Working...
              X