Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: OpenGL 3.1 Released Plus New Audio Standard

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,646

    Default OpenGL 3.1 Released Plus New Audio Standard

    Phoronix: OpenGL 3.1 Released Plus New Audio Standard

    Nine months ago the Khronos Group released the specification to OpenGL 3.0. OpenGL 3.0 brought version 1.30 of the GL Shading Language, the introduction of Vertex Array Objects, texture arrays, more flexible frame-buffer objects, and a number of other graphical features...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzE2Nw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    401

    Default OpenGL 3.1 Released Plus Yet Another Audio Standard

    I hope the title says it, I am bored to tears over all these audio standards.

    I lost track over oss, alsa, phonon, pulseaudio, and what is wrapper for what and what is a wrapper for your neighbor's hot dog.

    Yohoo, here comes yet another audio standard... Sigh.

    Please, Michael, could you make an graphic overview of all audio standards released. And, which are associated with what, e.g. Gnome, KDE, xfce, etc.

    I recall an interview with Mark Shuttleworth from a few months ago where he too thought it was a mess. And, this is harming Linux, I guess. Which standard should developers follow?! They tend to be not only incompatible but also conflicting.

    I think iD software jumped on the "wrong" bandwagon several times. Linux software may die off, because of malnutrition.

    Heeeellllp, I'm drowning in silence.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabriah View Post
    Please, Michael, could you make an graphic overview of all audio standards released. And, which are associated with what, e.g. Gnome, KDE, xfce, etc.
    You mean this? I can't stop laughing when I look at it. It's big, chaotic, steaming pile of crap :P

    http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    My nvidia script installs 180.37.04 with -vs option. First opengl 3.1 driver from nvidia.

    http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-debian.sh

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    You mean this? I can't stop laughing when I look at it. It's big, chaotic, steaming pile of crap :P

    http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png
    That's nice, NOT!!!

    I used to laugh at the system calls in IIS vs Apache

    Compare http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/SysCallIIS.jpg

    with http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/SysCallApache.jpg

    That is horrible enough. But the Linux sound swamp is just sad.
    Last edited by sabriah; 03-25-2009 at 04:05 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Merida
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    You mean this? I can't stop laughing when I look at it. It's big, chaotic, steaming pile of crap :P

    http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png

    If you follow the lines it's not that chaotic. The drawing makes it look more of a mess than what it really is. But yeah, there are way too many standards/wrappers/servers/whatever out there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabriah View Post
    I hope the title says it, I am bored to tears over all these audio standards.

    I lost track over oss, alsa, phonon, pulseaudio, and what is wrapper for what and what is a wrapper for your neighbor's hot dog.

    Yohoo, here comes yet another audio standard... Sigh.

    Please, Michael, could you make an graphic overview of all audio standards released. And, which are associated with what, e.g. Gnome, KDE, xfce, etc.

    I recall an interview with Mark Shuttleworth from a few months ago where he too thought it was a mess. And, this is harming Linux, I guess. Which standard should developers follow?! They tend to be not only incompatible but also conflicting.

    I think iD software jumped on the "wrong" bandwagon several times. Linux software may die off, because of malnutrition.

    Heeeellllp, I'm drowning in silence.
    I think, I read for mobile devices, a.k.a. phones/PDA's. Why are you bothered about it? It's not like they are going to integrate that for desktop use.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    370

    Default

    the "audio problem" isnt nearly remotely as bad as those people would make it out to be.. the only problem is an artificial one made up by people that dont realize "what what is for".

    theres about a trillion libraries with various abstractions for other platforms aswell, such as for winblows - does this mean its a "jungle" and "the winblows audio mess" ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    401

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    I think, I read for mobile devices, a.k.a. phones/PDA's. Why are you bothered about it? It's not like they are going to integrate that for desktop use.
    Ok, you saved my day!

    I was under the impression it was for the desktop again.

    Sorry for overreacting.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabriah View Post
    I hope the title says it, I am bored to tears over all these audio standards.

    I lost track over oss, alsa, phonon, pulseaudio, and what is wrapper for what and what is a wrapper for your neighbor's hot dog.

    Yohoo, here comes yet another audio standard... Sigh.

    Please, Michael, could you make an graphic overview of all audio standards released. And, which are associated with what, e.g. Gnome, KDE, xfce, etc.

    I recall an interview with Mark Shuttleworth from a few months ago where he too thought it was a mess. And, this is harming Linux, I guess. Which standard should developers follow?! They tend to be not only incompatible but also conflicting.

    I think iD software jumped on the "wrong" bandwagon several times. Linux software may die off, because of malnutrition.

    Heeeellllp, I'm drowning in silence.
    see my propose in the for a phoronix wiki with a center on graphic (and on audio, if you wish)
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16155

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •