Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Benchmarking The Linux 2.6.24 Through 2.6.29 Kernels

I only tested OpenSSL, because i know of the extreme diffs between 32+64 bit. But in your article you stated that you used 64 bit for all. Then those values are extra low.

I would be very interested to know if the current applications (graphmagik ffmpeg, etc.) were compiled with the compiler in use at the time the kernel was created.

I understand, that Intel has an optimising C compiler that produces substantially faster code then does gcc. Since the bulk of installations are on Intel / AMD platforms, it would be interesting to have a comparison of the last kernel and one compiled with Intel's C compiler.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
    I understand, that Intel has an optimising C compiler that produces substantially faster code then does gcc.
    I think you'd be surprised at the performance difference between GCC 4.x and ICPC 10.x compiled code. It's not as huge as you might expect - in mixed workloads, I've typically seen anything from GCC being a couple of percent faster to 5-6% slower. I'm certain that there are cases where icpc does outperform GCC by a larger margin but I've not seen it on large projects. GCC has come a long way towards smarter and more extensive optimisation in the 4.x series.

So last live test i made was using 2.6.29 - 32 bit, but even that was only 35.2. High values only possible with 64 bit, but so low values that you have got for OpenSSL are more or less impossible for a 64 bit system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    I'm certain that there are cases where icc does outperform GCC by a larger margin but I've not seen it on large projects.
    Large projects like FFmpeg?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Large projects like FFmpeg?
    That test had icc compiling to the 686 target and gcc targeting 486 (i think) so it's not exactly a fair test. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it did still win by a big margin.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That test had icc compiling to the 686 target and gcc targeting 486 (i think) so it's not exactly a fair test. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it did still win by a big margin.
    Turns out Mike noticed that, too. Seems my bookmark is obseleted by this third post; looks like if you feel like running in the danger zone, there's some improvements in line for GCC. But I don't know many people that commonly run trunk code for their compiler.... :/