Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Broadband On Linux To Improve With ModemManager

Phoronix: Mobile Broadband On Linux To Improve With ModemManager

With NetworkManager 0.7, which can be found in most modern Linux distributions already, there is "out of the box" support for many mobile broadband / cellular cards in this excellent network management utility. Most SM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HDSPA, HSUPA, and EVDO devices can then provide an Internet connection to a Linux host usually with the click of a menu item from the NetworkManager plug-in...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know... ModemManager sounds like a filthy hack to me. I'd like 1 app for all my networking functionality, no more, no less.

Comment

I am still disappointed by NM, I am looking forward to a new umtsmon release - for other connections I now use wicd.

Comment

Somehow, someway, either this or NetworkManager needs to have proxy support. I've hacked around this with ugly dispatcher scripts, but it's very, very ugly.

Comment

Why don't you use a system wide override?

Code:
          export http_proxy=http://username:password@host:port/
          For example in /etc/profile ?

Comment

It is possible to using USBNet whith NetworkManager?
            I have Motorola phone.
            When I try connect phone, NetworkManager do nothing.
            Without NM I can connect to phone by FTP, telnet, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Why don't you use a system wide override?
              Because I only need it on certain networks. Hence the dispatcher scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
                I don't know... ModemManager sounds like a filthy hack to me. I'd like 1 app for all my networking functionality, no more, no less.
                So you'd like NetworkManager to have a SSH, FTP and web server in it, as well as a web browser, IM client, etc?

There's nothing really hackish with the idea of ModemManager - it will probably result in less hacks in NetworkManager.

Comment

Working...
                X