Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.29 Kernel Released; Hello KMS and Btrfs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What?! No Btrfs benchmarks yet?

Just kidding, but really - I'm excited to see how it will turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
      I don't think ext4 is largely untested. It just has be limited to smaller than normal group while it was worked out.
      Which would therefore make it largely untested compared to ext3, no?
      Being able to work with very large files much faster than ext3 is the only thing most desktop or even majority of file server users get out it.
      I don't know, online fsck and defragmentation might actually make it viable for storage of smaller files. I could certainly go for a filesystem that does that well; my collection of internet memes is burgeoning. :P
      UK spending 70 billion dollars a year to spy on it's citizens and all that other stuff all over the world that needs such huge databases is only people it will help. The filesystem isn't the danger it's the anaconda storage rewrite to support it and the new wozniak SSD's and general changes in storage hardware that are likely to occur over the next few years is where the PITA part of it to end users comes in.
      If it weren't for all the success of late or rapid movement towards success the fail of this year to linux would be frightening.
      Ignoring the seemingly paranoid aspects of the first part and the general cannot-parse-ness of the end there, you make a good point about SSDs changing the way we manage on-disk formats, at least in the near term. My thought is it's not inconceivable that an SSD-optimised ext4 will come out in the next year or so. Indeed, I rather expect that there are already people working on this issue. Though really, I expect the SSD to move away from the current NAND Flash in a few years anyway.

Comment

eCryptfs filename encryption
        what is the point in encrypting filenames ? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          What, you don't save and name your files starting with your social security number?

Comment

Which userspace components are necessary to get KMS running on an Intel G965? When I enable KMS by default, my machine hardlocks as soon as X starts up.

I got:
            xorg-server 1.5.3
            xorg-video-intel 2.6.3
            linux 2.6.29-rc8
            libdrm 2.4.5

no framebuffer drivers loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
              What, you don't save and name your files starting with your social security number?
              i don't even know mine ;]

Comment

Encrypting filenames is useful. I don't think you would like others to see filenames like "Best_of_Jenna_Jameson.avi"

Comment

Also don't forget the very good changelog that kernelnewbies.org always does: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_29

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly envision a future where I need never worry about (or even think about) the name of a file...

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                      ... Btrfs is incredibly slow, especially for desktop and game-related tasks that deal with small files.
                      ZFS is very slow. I'd love to see BTRFS vs ZFS benchmark. It's very probable IBM to buy SUN and release ZFS on GPL license.

Comment

Working...
                      X