Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D: TGSI IR, OpenCL, LLVM Work Ahead

Phoronix: Gallium3D: TGSI IR, OpenCL, LLVM Work Ahead

FreeDesktop.org hacker Zack Rusin has provided an update on his blog about some of his recent activities when it comes to Gallium3D. In particular, this blog post largely talks about his recent work on TGSI, which is the intermediate representation used by Gallium3D, to improve the compilation of shaders. In order to improve TGSI since most modern hardware is designed around DirectX needs rather than OpenGL, TGSI could be changed to match that of the Direct3D semantics, Gallium3D could convert some of the IR before it gets submitted to the graphics driver, or the intermediate representation itself could be changed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have heard it before that GPU's can be "DirectX Class Hardware", but what does it mean?

Is it Microsoft that decides what features the next GPU's should have by putting none accelerated features into DirectX?

Comment

Microsoft communicates to the hardware companies what it wants to include in the next version of DirectX. Since none of the graphics card companies wants to not support a new version of DirectX that their competition does, they all design their hardware around it.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
        Microsoft communicates to the hardware companies what it wants to include in the next version of DirectX. Since none of the graphics card companies wants to not support a new version of DirectX that their competition does, they all design their hardware around it.
        Interesting.

At the QuakeCon 2007 John Carmack said that the D3D 9 was a very good API, actually better than OpenGL, because OpenGL had a lot of hidden states. He was sad about this, as he really likes open standards.

Does Microsoft then do a good job a choosing the right direction for where 3D should go?

Comment

Microsoft DOES ask the hardware vendors what they want, you know. It's not like they just pull features out of their ass and tell the hardware guys to come up with a way to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
            I think MS gives a lot of direction to the process, but they don't just dictate terms either. The way I understand it, they come up with a lot of the ideas about what they would like to do, and then run them by ATI/NVidia to see what they think. I imagine if any 2 of the companies team up the 3rd would have their hand forced, since the graphic card designers don't want to be a DX version behind, and MS doesn't want to push out a new version of DX just to see that no one supports it and has no intention of doing so anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I think MS gives a lot of direction to the process, but they don't just dictate terms either. The way I understand it, they come up with a lot of the ideas about what they would like to do, and then run them by ATI/NVidia to see what they think. I imagine if any 2 of the companies team up the 3rd would have their hand forced, since the graphic card designers don't want to be a DX version behind, and MS doesn't want to push out a new version of DX just to see that no one supports it and has no intention of doing so anytime soon.
              Oh wow. Now, if you doubt for a second this is not nonsense, check out whet happened with the DX 10.1 support

Comment

Working...
              X