Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm...

I've always struggled with one issue, and although it seems to be getting better, it's really not quite 'there' yet.

Hardware compatibility information for Linux kind-of sucks. I'd like to buy a webcam that I was certain would work well with say, aMSN or Skype. It seem nailing down a particular model to purchase is not as easy as it could be.

For a newbie, who knows enough to look good and hard at hardware purchase for Linux compatibility, this is quite frustrating. I know enough to know I don't know enough, but find it quite difficult to move beyond that level.

Maybe this is the next 'killer' linux app, a huge database which can be queried by a variety of user levels for correct, up to date information about hardware compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyBoy View Post
      Hardware compatibility information for Linux kind-of sucks. I'd like to buy a webcam that I was certain would work well with say, aMSN or Skype. It seem nailing down a particular model to purchase is not as easy as it could be.
      In regards to webcams, this is quite comprehensive:
      http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices

Almost all new cameras are UVC, since this is a requirement to be "Certified for Vista" -- read this.

When it comes to other peripherals, the fault is entirely on the manufacturers. Maybe if more people would write them letters demanding Linux support things would start to change Until then, doing a search for "<name of device> linux" will usually give you the answers you seek.

Comment

Working...
      X