Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Battle For Wesnoth Gets New Campaign, Graphics

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    I know I can get them if I look, and that's not a problem for me, what I take issue with most is them giving OS X more preferred treatment than Ubuntu.
    You know... It's because there's ONE target to hit with it on the packaging, etc.

    You DO realize that if they did a .deb, then you'd also have to do an .rpm, and a Conary build, etc. Because if they don't do all of that, there'll be people just like you with the other distributions complaining just like you're doing now.

    You're tilting at Windmills on this one, I'm afraid. And this is a FOSS program for all intents and purposes... Heh... Imagine MY fun with all the closed source stuff I'm porting.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    You know... It's because there's ONE target to hit with it on the packaging, etc.

    You DO realize that if they did a .deb, then you'd also have to do an .rpm, and a Conary build, etc. Because if they don't do all of that, there'll be people just like you with the other distributions complaining just like you're doing now.

    You're tilting at Windmills on this one, I'm afraid. And this is a FOSS program for all intents and purposes... Heh... Imagine MY fun with all the closed source stuff I'm porting.
    If they have the resources to do all kinds of crazy ports, that's fine-- But Windows has 90% market, mac OS has 9%, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuNetbook/UbuntuChristian/UbuntuMuslim/UbuntuSatanic/Fluxbuntu/WhatsherBuntu/MyBuntu/YourBuntu/Debian has .9%
    Turns out one file covers them all, because dependencies are all handled, you know, by apt. That leaves 0.1% of people having to click on to the next page, and us .9% can make more noise than that .1% any day of the week.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    You know... It's because there's ONE target to hit with it on the packaging, etc.

    You DO realize that if they did a .deb, then you'd also have to do an .rpm, and a Conary build, etc. Because if they don't do all of that, there'll be people just like you with the other distributions complaining just like you're doing now.

    You're tilting at Windmills on this one, I'm afraid. And this is a FOSS program for all intents and purposes... Heh... Imagine MY fun with all the closed source stuff I'm porting.
    I'm sorry but you are ignoring that Ubuntu in the normal desktop area = Linux. You can't treat Ubuntu like all other distros. And you can't say this is an unfair thing, becuase releasing packages for Ubuntu means making a favour to all users. And since most of them use Ubuntu, you are doing a favour to most users.

    I think it's very stupid to ignore that Ubuntu is the de-facto standard in the desktop area... sometimes it seems Linux software developers don't want to see someone winning over the other and close their eyes treating Ubuntu like all other distros... this is totaly close-minded + ignoring-users interest.
    Is it so hard to accept that Ubuntu, in the good and bad, is just the best Linux Distro for normal desktop users? It seems it is. Continue like this, but then don't complain if someone says Windows is 1000000 times easier to use than "Linux", because it is. 99% of people don't even know what the word "sources" means, do you know this?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Continue like this, but then don't complain if someone says Windows is 1000000 times easier to use than "Linux", because it is.
    I disagree vehemently with that claim, but if I just imagine you saying 'Mac OS X' instead of Windows, I can live with it. (arguably true because of this very kind of thing)

    Linux is not a platform, it is a kernel, and if Ubuntu switched kernels tomorrow, I'm pretty sure linux would get kicked down from third to fourth in desktop market share. That happens to be the way I already think of it. I NEVER tell people about linux, just as I don't tell them about gnu, gnome, apt, or pulseaudio, CoreImage, Cocoa, XNU/mach/darwin, CoreAnimation or--oops, wrong OS.. (But who cares anyways?) You won't catch me going anywhere, however, without my ubuntu hoodie.
    https://usshop.ubuntu.com/product.ph...4001BN&catid=1
    Last edited by ethana2; 03-23-2009 at 12:16 AM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Please note that I put the word Linux under " " I didn't mean Linux as a kernel but Linux = Ubuntu = an entire operating system including apps and GUIs that can be compared for ex. to Windows.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Please note that I put the word Linux under " " I didn't mean Linux as a kernel but Linux = Ubuntu = an entire operating system including apps and GUIs that can be compared for ex. to Windows.
    The sum of the several most popular gnu/linux based desktop operating systems, yes, I get you. I'm just saying that all the distros of significance are easier to use than Windows, because xfce, KDE, and Gnome are all better than Explorer.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    "Which .deb platform should they target?"
    Ubuntu.
    "Which .rpm platform should they target?"
    $ alien. (I kid, but worry about that later.)

    "Ubuntu packages:
    https://launchpad.net/~stikonas/+archive/ppa"

    I know I can get them if I look, and that's not a problem for me, what I take issue with most is them giving OS X more preferred treatment than Ubuntu.

    Heck, I'd be probably be almost fine with something like this:

    ==Downloads==
    _Windows_
    _Decent Operating Systems_
    _Source Code_

    I completely disagree. They shouldn't target anything or anyone. Like someone else said, they provide source code for a reason. If your distro doesn't maintain an up to date repository, then switch distros. SUSE always keeps a relatively current game repository.

    Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    I, of course, would have preferred a .deb link next to the .exe and .dmg, and, in my cynical fashion, interpret the more obfuscated route to obtaining it to be either an expression of their wish for OS X to remain the face of unix on the desktop or their denial of the fact that Ubuntu simply is linux today.
    As a Linux user, that is some very dangerous logic you're using there. What if people just accepted the fact that "Windows simply is computing today"? Or decided to center everything around rendering for IE because "Internet Explorer is browsing today"? We as Linux users would be screwed. Knowing this, I wonder how could you bring that divisive thinking into the OSS community. They shouldn't show preferential treatment towards anyone. Provide the source code, and if your distro doesn't keep an up to date repository, then again - switch distros.

    There is speculation as to why some people don't like Ubuntu. As good as a distro as it is (I rather like it), it also manages to create some spoiled and lazy users. This self righteous feeling of entitlement for Ubuntu is completely insane (and rather annoying I might add...)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    I completely disagree. They shouldn't target anything or anyone. Like someone else said, they provide source code for a reason. If your distro doesn't maintain an up to date repository, then switch distros.
    You say OpenSuse handles upstream syncing.. significantly better? Like a LOT better?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    There is speculation as to why some people don't like Ubuntu. As good as a distro as it is (I rather like it), it also manages to create some spoiled and lazy users. This self righteous feeling of entitlement for Ubuntu is completely insane (and rather annoying I might add...)
    Now give me 1 single reasons why people that use a computer must be expterts. We aren't in the 90 era anymore. It is duty of the OS to try and do the most possible things for the user. Of course if the OS is targeted for desktop users.
    Just because you live in a house everyday, does this mean you know how to build a house? Does this mean you know how to fix your water?

    Untill there are people like you, Windows will and always will be OS number 1 in the desktop area. And you know what? Reading posts like yours bring me to say: Thank you Microsoft for giving me a product, even if it's stupid, It works for my needs and is easy to use. I have no interest in knowing what the word "sources" means. If you don't give me an "exe" for my OS, I simply won't use your software. = If you don't build the house, I won't buy it. I will buy another house already made.
    Last edited by bulletxt; 03-23-2009 at 01:10 AM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Untill there are people like you, Windows will and always will be OS number 1 in the desktop area.
    NINETY THREE! (..what?)
    ..still disagree with Windows being 'number 1'. If gnome, kde, and xfce distributions did not exist, Mac OS X would be 'number 1', and the only reason not to pick Windows over it would be cost. If Apple had the urge to completely dominate the market, you know they could flip the share figures in 12 months flat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •