Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Linux Drivers Gain Support For Unreleased RS880

Phoronix: ATI Linux Drivers Gain Support For Unreleased RS880

AMD's current flagship offering when it comes to integrated ATI graphics is the Radeon HD 3300 / 790GX. This IGP was introduced last fall as a minor refresh to the Radeon HD 3200 / 780G Chipset...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is beyond great news!

I do wonder though what will happen when AMD's Fusion (CPU and GPU on die) comes out.

Will this require a completely new open source driver?

Comment

The Fusion parts will almost definitely need driver *changes* but I don't think a whole new driver would be required. The important thing is making sure that we have a solid open source driver to start with.
      Last edited by bridgman; 22 March 2009, 09:29 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Adding new ids is something really impressive...

Comment

What about if the CPU and GPU will be able to share cache?

So it would quite cool if they shared cache on die when using OpenCL
          Last edited by Louise; 22 March 2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I *definitely* can't tell you that. Sorry
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I *definitely* can't tell you that. Sorry
              ... Of course that would require some sort of weird memory controller...

It is all interesting

Actually I don't quite get how the numbers of pins won't be a serious problem for Fusion. A CPU have ~1000 pins, and a GPU have maybe also ~1000.

I read that CPU's would *never* get more can 16 cores, because the numbers of pins required to the ram banks would not be possible to fit on a die.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Adding new ids is something really impressive...
                Despite your sarcasm... what's significant here is that the ID is making its way into the driver way before the product releases. So hopefully, the major distros will have support before end-users get their hands on it. This hasn't always happened in the past.

Comment

Fine, but please release a version and not only a git snapshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                    ... Of course that would require some sort of weird memory controller...

It is all interesting

Actually I don't quite get how the numbers of pins won't be a serious problem for Fusion. A CPU have ~1000 pins, and a GPU have maybe also ~1000.

I read that CPU's would *never* get more can 16 cores, because the numbers of pins required to the ram banks would not be possible to fit on a die.
                    That's what gets interesting about Fusion parts -- nearly all of the pins on a GPU are either power/ground or for communicating with CPU and memory. Since the CPU and memory connections are now on chip, other than extra power/ground for the GPU and pins for the video outputs you don't really need a lot more pins when you add a GPU.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X