Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4670 DDR3 and Linux

Hello,

I am considering buying laptop with Ati HD 4670 Card on board.
    I am planning to install lastest linux system on it. However I am not sure how the support for this card look like.
    Does 3D Compiz works for it ?
    Does it have movie play problems ?

1,5 year agro i bought Laptop with ATI HD2600 card on board and for 4 month there was no official driver for it. That day i have sworn myselfe never to buy ATI card.

Now i am going to give ATI 1m chance. Is it worth it ? or should i go After lastest GF 9600GT so to not to have any move problems with grafic drivers ?

thank you in advance for all opinions.

Mac

Compiz works but with bugs (no 3D apps, no video, window resizing is slow as molasses, same with maximizing windows). Videos are tearing.

Get the NVidia :P

PS:
    I know because I'm on a Radeon HD4870.

Comment

Videos are fine with OSS driver, but no 3d at all I can live with that with my new 3450, that card is so slow that 3d or not does not really matter - it is just there to test ati drivers *g* If you really want to use 3d AND play videos you could try to use opengl output - that did not always work for me however and force vsync. I prefer using xv - but I would like vdpau support of course. Nv highend cards are much better supported in most cases, some have problems however. Especially laptops can be tricky, but thats the same for fglrx.

Comment

like i though
        nothing has changed during last years.

I have seen a review of this card and performance in many games was above GF9600 so how come 3D ain't working well on this one ?

As i understood it will be hard to run strait from box any 3d wine applications under linux including Compiz.

What about Video under compiz .. on my current Hd2600 it is not possible to watch any movie with compiz due to annormous tearing - is it still valid for the latest ATI inventions ?

Comment

Originally posted by macmus View Post
          Hello,

I am considering buying laptop with Ati HD 4670 Card on board.
          I am planning to install lastest linux system on it. However I am not sure how the support for this card look like.
          Does 3D Compiz works for it ?
          Does it have movie play problems ?

1,5 year agro i bought Laptop with ATI HD2600 card on board and for 4 month there was no official driver for it. That day i have sworn myselfe never to buy ATI card.

Now i am going to give ATI 1m chance. Is it worth it ? or should i go After lastest GF 9600GT so to not to have any move problems with grafic drivers ?

thank you in advance for all opinions.

Mac
          Using the fglrx binary driver, you have 3D and video (I'm on a 4850 here). There is no 3d support in the open-source drivers (yet.. it's being worked on).

Windowed 3D (ie tuxracer in a window) doesn't work well because of problems with the current X stack, but works fine full screen.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Compiz works but with bugs (no 3D apps, no video, window resizing is slow as molasses, same with maximizing windows). Videos are tearing.

Get the NVidia :P

PS:
            I know because I'm on a Radeon HD4870.
            are you using open driver or ATI (FLGRX) ?

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
              Using the fglrx binary driver, you have 3D and video (I'm on a 4850 here).
              what about performace is it good with Compiz ? or crapy as usual ?
              Originally posted by krazy View Post
              Windowed 3D (ie tuxracer in a window) doesn't work well because of problems with the current X stack, but works fine full screen.
              does ati know that problem, are they going to fix that ?

Comment

what about performace is it good with Compiz ? or crapy as usual ?
                No idea - I use KDE and kwin's built-in compositing which is (for me) much more stable and less buggy than compiz. I get a smooth desktop cube, wobbly windows etc though! Setting video out to X11 gives smooth composited video too.
                does ati know that problem, are they going to fix that ?
                Yes, and they actively are. It all relies on upcoming changes to the linux 3D stack though. See here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=6

Comment

Setting video out to X11 - is that a joke? That's software rendering for video, who wants that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Setting video out to X11 - is that a joke? That's software rendering for video, who wants that?
                    Sometimes, it's a feasible option depending on your CPU/cooling/noise setup and how demanding your video playback needs are.

Comment

Working...
                    X