No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI Graphics In Ubuntu 9.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel free to add your experience and mark here, what do you need to turn off, etc.

Comment

Code:
          Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
          Option "ColorTiling" "on"
          Option "MigrationHeuristic" "smart"
          Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
          Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
      These settings are the settings that I think is the best for r200 and r500 mobility cards. MigrationHeuristics makes scrolling firefox smooth in my r200 card. IT also makes 2D wine apps run a lot smoother. In r500 it has only visible gains with wine apps.

Page flip and color tiling should give maximum 3D performace. They should be enabled by default but were not in earlier version so I have them still in my configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        @Melcar

fglrx used 8x, radeon used 1x. At least the versions I tested - ok a few years ago.
        AGP v3 cards run at 8x or 4x, and AGP v2 cards at 4x, 2x or 1x.

Comment

Yes Tormod, my card (9250) works with 8x by default and after 6.8 release, i don't have any problem.
          Code:
          [   54.612510] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
          [   54.613322] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
          [   54.614004] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
          [   54.984980] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
          [   54.984997] [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
          Do you know what that AGP 3.5 means, i rarely seen this in other people dmesgs?
          Last edited by dungeon; 22 March 2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

AGP version 3.5 is only publicly mentioned by Microsoft under Universal Accelerated Graphics Port (UAGP), which specifies mandatory supports of extra registers once marked optional under AGP 3.0. Upgraded registers include PCISTS, CAPPTR, NCAPID, AGPSTAT, AGPCMD, NISTAT, NICMD. New required registers include APBASELO, APBASEHI, AGPCTRL, APSIZE, NEPG, GARTLO, GARTHI.
            straight from wikipedia

Comment

Xpress 200M is almost dead

Hello All,
              My Xpress 200M is almost dead after I upgraded the system to Ubuntu 9.04.
              sk@24shw3h:~$ glxgears
              1256 frames in 5.0 seconds = 251.181 FPS
              1224 frames in 5.0 seconds = 244.754 FPS
              1673 frames in 5.0 seconds = 334.345 FPS
              1610 frames in 5.0 seconds = 321.985 FPS
              XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0" after 27001 requests (25548 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
              I had above 1100 FPS in 8.10. I deleted the old xorg.conf - did not help. Then did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg - no improvements.
              I do not see errors in Xorg.log. Everything is working (compiz, some games) but very slow.
              I believe that something is wrong with the card detection:

radeontool --debug
              [sudo] password for sk:
              Found card 1002:5955 (30000)
              (unknown card)
              Radeon found. Base control address is b80b2000; base framebuffer address is a7f2d000.

Comment

Originally posted by sergus View Post
                Hello All,
                My Xpress 200M is almost dead after I upgraded the system to Ubuntu 9.04.

I had above 1100 FPS in 8.10. I deleted the old xorg.conf - did not help. Then did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg - no improvements.
                I do not see errors in Xorg.log. Everything is working (compiz, some games) but very slow.
                I believe that something is wrong with the card detection:
                Please file a bug report (the forum is not a bug tracker). The easiest way is to run "apport-cli -f -p xserver-xorg-video-ati" which will also attach the needed information to the report.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                  Please file a bug report (the forum is not a bug tracker). The easiest way is to run "apport-cli -f -p xserver-xorg-video-ati" which will also attach the needed information to the report.
                  tormod, thank you for the response. I will certainly file a bug report. The reason I posted here is that the problem might not necessary be related to Ubuntu only and the Phoronix forum has a very wide auditory, including the developers of OS ATI driver.

Comment

Originally posted by sergus View Post
                    tormod, thank you for the response. I will certainly file a bug report. The reason I posted here is that the problem might not necessary be related to Ubuntu only and the Phoronix forum has a very wide auditory, including the developers of OS ATI driver.
                    No problem. It is just that Jaunty is now in beta freeze, and any regression like this should get on the radar as soon as possible. And we would like to see your logs etc. If it seems to not be Ubuntu specific we will for sure bug the developers

Comment

Working...
                    X