Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source ATI Graphics In Ubuntu 9.04

Phoronix: Open-Source ATI Graphics In Ubuntu 9.04

Ubuntu 9.04 will be released towards the end of next month and it is picking up the Linux 2.6.28 kernel, GNOME 2.26, and other improvements like install-time support for the EXT4 file-system and some subtle improvements. When it comes to the X.Org side it is shipping with X Server 1.6 and the stabilized version of Mesa 7.3. Specifically in regards to the ATI Linux graphics, it will be shipping with an updated xf86-video-ati driver by default and Catalyst 9.4 will be an option for the user. With Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6 having been released last week, we have run a few benchmarks comparing the open-source ATI performance in Ubuntu 8.10 and Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sick of this crap.Linux graphics sucks big time.The graphics performance is going down the drain since ubuntu 8.04.
    Verry low end games(starcraft,heroes,counter strike) started having bad performance in wine,native games started being sluggish,glxgears, witch i know it's not a benchmark but if it's run on the same hardware i guess it counts, started having half the fps.
    Since AMD released specs my graphics experience only went down hill.

I have an HP nx6325 laptop with an ATI Radeon Xpress Mobiliy X1150(RS485).

Comment

@moon_sniper:

A friend of me have the same laptop, the binary driver was crap since he had it. But since hardy or intrepid the open driver supports all features (aiglx, 3d, exa, ...) i installed it and all works perfektly, for games i think this hardware is not good enough ok quake3 and something like that. But if you dont absolutly need this games i suggest use the free driver that has much better 2d support and is more stable.

TOPIC:
      hmm testing the new x.x.12 ati-driver would been(is this good english ^^) the interessting point of such a benchmark i hope you will repeat this test with new hardware and this driver soon.

Comment

How to detect working X-Video and EXA?

What I wondered was, if I have the appropiate hardware and I have the latest xorg and kernel stuff, how do I detect or test that I have working X-Video and EXA?

Comment

I also have the feeling my laptop (Mobility X1300) is doing worse in graphics, compared to when I started using Ubuntu on it (7.10), especially if enabling visual effects in Appearance. It's not that I want to play demanding 3D games on my aging system - I just want a appealing desktop, while being able to use my work-related 3D application (PyMOL, Coot, ect.). And just hoping it will(/might) all be better by the 10.4 release, is a bit frustrating.
          But, I guess that's all I can do..

Comment

@blackiwid
            Yes, I also use the open source driver witch feature wise is very complete.Suspend/resume works,compiz works, even Half-Life 2 works in wine.
            But the performance of the driver started degrading along the way.
            Now compiz is disabled and I play my games on windows.

Hope it will be fixed so I can return to Linux

Comment

Games not being playable, does that mean performance is simply too low or that they simply don't run due to errors in the driver?

The games run, but the tests do take an ungodly amount of time to finish (slideshows mostly ).
              800x600 @ low settings renders Nexuiz, Tremulous, and Urban Terror playable at 15-25fps.

Nearly all open source games are pretty much playable with stuff like the 9800pro, so anything newer and faster than that should have no problem with most things on the Linux desktop right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                Games not being playable, does that mean performance is simply too low or that they simply don't run due to errors in the driver?
                No, the driver has no problem but the performance it's lower than the previous versions (on the same hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
                  No, the driver has no problem but the performance it's lower than the previous versions (on the same hardware).

That's not what the article implies. The way the article states it gives the impression that games simply would not run on the selected hardware/software, which may mean that 3D isn't as mature on r5xx parts as on older chips.

Comment

Guys I have similar hardware x1400 mobile and T2300 and Open Arena is runnig with like 30-60 fps in average, why its not playable?

Comment

Working...
                    X