Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstalling 9.4 , then installing 9.2 -> fubar

Hello everyone.

I'm not here to complain, because its my own fault installing an alpha driver The Catalyst 9.4.

But now when I have removed it (purged), and installed the older fglrx 9.2, something is completely wrong.

The computer starts op, and compiz works. But opengl games / tvout doesn't work correctly. When running an opengl game there is texture corruptions. And when I plugin a tv, X freeze.

So where is the hidden files from the removed 9.4, which haven't been removed proberly? Symlinks?

Actually this is not the first time this is happending. I tried it once before, and I had to reinstall kubuntu. I just liked the 9.4, I tried it again

So anybody got any "tricks" to find the problem and solve it without a reinstall?

Computer:
    Kubuntu 8.10
    Radeon HD3650 mobility.

Most likely reason is that you have forgot to remove one of packages from the newer fglrx. Below is the instruction how you can see what are all packages intalled by fglrx and also how to check if any of files provided by fglrx is still in system after uninstall.

1. uninstall all fglrx packages listed in:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/ja...glrx-installer
    2. Get the list of files for all of those packages from that website (click the package name and scroll to bottom)
    3. Copy and save the list to a text file (say fglrx_file_list_<package>)
    4. save follow script to same directory with name check_files.sh and give execution permission.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -e $1 ]; then
    echo file $1 exists
    fi
    5. run to see if any file are still system
    Code:
    cat fglrx_file_list_* | xargs --max-args=1 ./check_files.sh
    6. Check if your current kernel still has fglrx kernel module installed
    Code:
    find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name "fglrx*"
    After all that seems to be clear then there is only left files that are created by installer script which I don't kno how to check for easily.

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
      Most likely reason is that you have forgot to remove one of packages from the newer fglrx. Below is the instruction how you can see what are all packages intalled by fglrx and also how to check if any of files provided by fglrx is still in system after uninstall.

1. uninstall all fglrx packages listed in:
      http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/ja...glrx-installer
      2. Get the list of files for all of those packages from that website (click the package name and scroll to bottom)
      3. Copy and save the list to a text file (say fglrx_file_list_<package>)
      4. save follow script to same directory with name check_files.sh and give execution permission.
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      if [ -e $1 ]; then
      echo file $1 exists
      fi
      5. run to see if any file are still system
      Code:
      cat fglrx_file_list_* | xargs --max-args=1 ./check_files.sh
      6. Check if your current kernel still has fglrx kernel module installed
      Code:
      find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name "fglrx*"
      After all that seems to be clear then there is only left files that are created by installer script which I don't kno how to check for easily.
      Thank you so much. I will try this when I come home.

Comment

Usally dkms should be used on *ubuntu - and dkms can be uninstalled without any huger problem. I guess you did not reboot. If you use my script with -v override and the package to install in /usr/src that will not happen.

Comment

I did use dkms, and it tells me it has uninstalled the modules.

But maybe I have to reboot my computer after I uninstalled, and then first install 9.2 after I did the reboot?

Comment

@suokko

Thiese files exist already:
            Code:
            $ cat fglrx_file_list_* |xargs --max-args=1 ./check_files.sh
            file /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 exists
            file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so exists
            file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so exists
            But are these exclusively fglrx files? Aren't they used for Xorg in general? I mean, shouldn't fglrx replae them with the original files when uninstalled? You must know that Kano :P

Comment

Working...
            X