Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Poulsbo DRM Proposed, But Rejected

Phoronix: Intel Poulsbo DRM Proposed, But Rejected

Back in January we shared that Intel's Poulsbo driver was a bloody mess. This Intel GMA 500 Chipset is used by a few select devices at the moment and its core is originally based upon a PowerVR ASIC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

we're working on it but thats all I can really say.
    So there is hope for the future.
    Maybe the coming of Nvidia in the embedded market, will force Imagination Technologies to play the "open-source game".

Comment

Too bad. But they are right, in the current state the driver should not go into the kernel. Not even the DRM. Hopefully intel fixes this.

Comment

I smell third party licences...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          I smell third party licences...
          You'd smell right. The bulk thereof would be Imagination Technologies' programming info for the GPU in the Poulsbo chipset. They CAN'T FOSS it with that deal in place- and Imagination's not budging on the deal, based on their dealings with the Beagleboard and Pandora dev communities behind the scenes.

Comment

I wonder, why intel doesn't select a way as the propietary ATI and nVidia drivers for that damn thing. At least for now this missing driver is a showstopper for Linux on more and more netbooks :/

Comment

Compiling drm externally is no big deal. Can be done with dkms very easyly. I already wrote a script for the ATI drm modules, the only thing I would have to change would be the git repo.

Comment

Yay! I could care less about 3D right now, I just want something, anything, that actually will drive my hardware at all! (no vesa mode matching LCD size). I'm really glad to hear it is actually being worked on!

Comment

I'm getting sick of all this. I'm getting sick of waiting. I'm getting sick of specs released incomplete. code rejected and bla bla bla.
                  Did we all forget the most important thing? We are customers that PAY for something that has to WORK.
                  When I buy a GPU the seller wants the money, he doesn't say "come back in some months". Then I want my card to work IMMEDIATELY.

Thanks god there's a company that shuts up, works, and releases a blob driver. for real man. I'm tired.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    Thanks god there's a company that shuts up, works, and releases a blob driver. for real man. I'm tired.
                    You mean a blob driver that drops support for older cards, doesn't get any security review, requires SSE and doesnt work on any architecture other than x86 and amd64?

Comment

Working...
                    X