No announcement yet.

IBM Buying Sun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or HP ... "HP Invent"? (Unless you happen to work from them in design, then you find out that you don't have a job because HP no longer do R&D)

IBM was gonna be a sound owner to ride out the recession ... Even though I'd prefer an independent Sun (which aint gonna happen under the Shwartzeneger!)

Comment

My only vision of IBM buying them consists of IBM forking future development of all the interesting Solaris bits (ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, etc etc) into AIX under their proprietary license and leaving the current versions to rot. Oh, and cancelling Rock and kicking all the architects to the street.

Comment

I'm not sure, but then I'm an Optimist and always have been.

I still reckon some of the R&D in Rock could be used, even if Rock is dead. Assuming that IBM will keep PowerPC.

I'd like to think they'll still support Solaris (It'd be difficult to stop OpenSolaris now) I'm not sure if they have the ability to re license all the technology in OpenSolaris, but the Sun license isn't incompatible with AIX ...

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
          My only vision of IBM buying them consists of IBM forking future development of all the interesting Solaris bits (ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, etc etc) into AIX under their proprietary license and leaving the current versions to rot. Oh, and cancelling Rock and kicking all the architects to the street.
          IBM is great contributor to Linux kernel, so I hope they will just release ZFS and DTrace under GPL (rest is not so interesting). Btw. BTRFS and Linux performance counters are coming so ZFS is becoming much less interesting too...

Comment

I hope that IBM made another offer to purchase SUN.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              BTRFS and Linux performance counters are coming so ZFS is becoming much less interesting too...
              BTRFS. ZFS.
              Coming. Working.
              Not here. Here.

For something with requirements as bulletproof as a filesystem, this is really a huge chasm of difference... :/

Comment

Someone mentioned Apple. Now that would be something... Just imagine Sparc Macs touting ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                  BTRFS. ZFS.
                  Coming. Working.
                  Not here. Here.

For something with requirements as bulletproof as a filesystem, this is really a huge chasm of difference... :/
                  Not exactly Linux doesn't have native ZFS support :>

Someone mentioned Apple. Now that would be something... Just imagine Sparc Macs touting ZFS.
                  Do macs even support sparcs?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Not exactly Linux doesn't have native ZFS support :>
                    But it is easier to change the license to GPL (if IBM buys SUN) than write the whole Btrfs File System!

Comment

Heh, noticed today that Sun stocks are down ~25% since walking away. Nothing like throwing away a quarter of your value.

Comment

Working...
                      X