Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Last Hurrah For USplash: A New Theme

Phoronix: One Last Hurrah For USplash: A New Theme

Pushed into the Jaunty repository this morning for Ubuntu 9.04 was a new theme for USplash. This Canonical project for providing a splash screen at boot-up on Ubuntu is being replaced by Plymouth with Ubuntu 9.10 (the Karmic Koala release), but there is a new Ubuntu theme as one last hurrah...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not very impressive.

Comment

A screenshot would be appreciated

Comment

Why is it that whenever X starts up there's always some garbled mess on the screen before the mouse cursor shows up?

Comment

With F11, I get 0 mess today

Comment

dont you trust in ext4, or why else do you still use ext3?

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
              Why is it that whenever X starts up there's always some garbled mess on the screen before the mouse cursor shows up?
              Depends on the driver, I guess. I've never seen it happen on any of mine... (well, except when opengl stuff crashes)

Comment

I don't get it, what's so exciting about a boot splash screen? Better try to improve boot times, suspend/resume support and power management so there's no need to watch a useless splash screen, really.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  I don't get it, what's so exciting about a boot splash screen? Better try to improve boot times, suspend/resume support and power management so there's no need to watch a useless splash screen, really.
                  It just shows that they are finally working on the looks.

Comment

it happens in xf86-video-ati driver.

i guess memory is not cleared before display is initialized. i can see checkerboard of my previous desktop session even after hot reboot of the entire system (ctrl+alt+del one).

Comment

Working...
                    X