Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Bridgman:

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Fear not; there will still be a March driver....
    Hi.

I was wondering if the RS880 IGP chipset will support 7.1 channel LPCM over HDMI, and if so, with support for Linux. I think that was a major shortcoming from a multimedia perspective with the 790GX chipset which I currently own. Also, will TV tuning on the "All in wonder" cards be ever supported under Linux, or is that completely off the cards?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by matt8 View Post
      I was wondering if the RS880 IGP chipset will support 7.1 channel LPCM over HDMI, and if so, with support for Linux. I think that was a major shortcoming from a multimedia perspective with the 790GX chipset which I currently own.
      Sorry, but I can't really talk about unreleased products. We're trying to get at least basic out-of-box support (modesetting + shadowfb) into the spring distro releases but anything more detailed will have to wait until the chip actually gets released.

Originally posted by matt8 View Post
      Also, will TV tuning on the "All in wonder" cards be ever supported under Linux, or is that completely off the cards?
      I don't think we have any plans to add that capability to the Catalyst drivers. The tuners themselves are all third party components so we wouldn't be providing programming information for those anyways. That said, the tuner vendors are usually pretty good about providing datasheets and programming info since they usually don't need to expose anything particularly secret to let you use the part.

I'm not sure about the status of capture chip support in the open drivers (the capture chip is what gets tuner output into the PC so it can be stored in a file or displayed on the screen) but will ask. If there is no support today we can look into releasing some in the future, but all the usual caveats apply (ie if we can't separate the info for normal operation from the info used for DRM-type stuff then we won't be able to release the info needed for normal operation).
      Test signature

Comment

Release something! I'm bored!

Comment

Is there any chance that the 9.3 or 9.4 versions of catalyst will work again for Mobility Radeon HD 3650 users?

See bugreports on launchpad:
          I am currently using Jaunty with the latest 2.6.28-4-generic #8-Ubuntu x86-64 kernel, and any time I try to use fglrx 8.552 or 8.561 (apt-pinned to Intrepid X server and libdrm2), I get the system hanging at a black screen when I try to start X, followed by a kernel panic after I try pressing a few keys. See attached logfile for a serial-console stacktrace. Interestingly enough, fglrx reports itself as version 8.56.4, which seems a bit mismatched from the package version number 8.561. In a...

[ 69.478362] [fglrx:fireglAsyncioIntEnableMsgHandler] *ERROR* interrupt source ff000066 is not supported on this hardware (return code = 1) [ 69.810350] [fglrx] CMM init INV FB MC:0xd0000000, length:0x30000000 [ 69.810359] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000 [ 69.810360] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:ff77000, size:88000 Don't known if this is fatal or not, never seem this before. [lspci] 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/G...

Dominik

Comment

Some bugs are because of the /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file which usually written on X shutdown. When you update the driver while X is running then it would not help to remove it on update as a new file is written on shutdown. That's the problem with running X -> GUI update is not always the best. At least this kind of error can be avoided when you run a script from text console - or extra tricky using nohup.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Some bugs are because of the /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file which usually written on X shutdown. ... That's the problem with running X -> GUI update is not always the best.
              I tried to install with and without the X-server running. Unfortunately this did not solve the crash on the startup of X.

Dominik

Comment

It is not removed the old file by default. Did you really use

/etc/init.d/atieventsd stop
                /etc/init.d/gdm stop

rmmod fglrx

or similar and then

rm -rf /etc/ati

before installing new driver?

Comment

Did you really use
                  before installing new driver?
                  Strictly speaking "no", but in effect I guess "yes":

On opensuse 11.1 I installed the 8.12 on toa clean install (without any proprietary driver). There should not be any files under /etc/ati in this situation.

On ubuntu 8.10 I called the uninstall script under /usr/share/ati and performed a reboot before installing the new driver. I also tried your install script under ubuntu (which calls "rm -rf /etc/ati").

Comment

Well you have to reboot on opensuse then when you dont do

rmmod radeon drm

before starting X. Somethigs even this has problems, therefore my script has a lesser known option called -z which would require a reboot.

Comment

Well you have to reboot on opensuse then when you dont do

rmmod radeon drm
                      I always reboot after installing catalyst, so this should not be the issue.

Now I also tried to remove /etc/ati on opensuse before installing the 9.2 version of catalyst... still crashes...

Comment

Working...
                      X