No announcement yet.

Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope you are right, the release of 9.3 raised my hopes up, still I feel pretty bad on how they didn't added newest kernel and xorg support. Leaving all those old cards to rot if they want to play games. Is like what kind of company would do that to the users? I know who, AMD. AMD is holding the adoption of Linux from their users, which gets discontent when it just doesn't work. Nvidia users love Linux, if I hadn't be an nvidia user when I first started with Linux more than 5 years ago I wouldn't be a Linux geek now, not even a developer. But now my primary system is Linux even though I'm a network administrator for a big company. Thanks to nvidia.

I wish one day I can be happy with AMD/ATI. I'm not ready to give up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kensai View Post
      I really hope you are right, the release of 9.3 raised my hopes up, still I feel pretty bad on how they didn't added newest kernel and xorg support. Leaving all those old cards to rot if they want to play games. Is like what kind of company would do that to the users? I know who, AMD. AMD is holding the adoption of Linux from their users, which gets discontent when it just doesn't work. Nvidia users love Linux, if I hadn't be an nvidia user when I first started with Linux more than 5 years ago I wouldn't be a Linux geek now, not even a developer. But now my primary system is Linux even though I'm a network administrator for a big company. Thanks to nvidia.

I wish one day I can be happy with AMD/ATI. I'm not ready to give up yet.
      Again I think you are wrong. :-)
      AMD has given linux users much more than nvidia has ever done. Don't forget AMD is actually living out the way linux is 'ment to be played'. They have open sourced their driver. So actually they ARE supporting the old'er cards with the open source drivers.

Comment

Well defining R500 cards as old is just not that easy to understand. Also Win support was not completely dropped, still 4 releases a year. Only for Linux it seems costs have to cut down to a minimum. Opensource is nice, but the speed of the current driver is far way from fglrx for games, in my opinion it is no fair replacement - only for lowend cards not used for games.

Comment

Very true what Kano said. Linux is getting bad opensource drivers, that might be good for anything 3d related in about 5 years. And even not 3d related, they have a lot of 2d issues. Sow e are stuck in bad catalyst drivers with 3d support, or not that bad open source drivers with some 3d support. At least with nvidia you can go superb drivers with 3d support and all the latest technologies, and support for the latest kernel and xorg instantly even on legacy chips, or not that bad nouveau (open source) drivers with some 3d support.

And no, that is not the way Linux is meant to be played:

Linus Torvalds quote:
          "Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit."

Comment

Working...
          X