Can't get DRI on Radeon X1600: "GART is not initialized"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get DRI on Radeon X1600: "GART is not initialized"

I recently upgraded to Kubuntu Edgy, and the upgrade broke DRI. I have resolved a few other problems, but now I'm stuck. Drivers, modules, extensions, etc. all seem to be sorted out, now the only thing X is complaining about is that "GART is not initialized". The log tells me that "ATI GART size" is specified in the config file, but it isn't, as far as I can see. Is there some setting I could set?

Some have suggested that one should increase the AGP Aperture setting in the BIOS, but I don't have a setting with those specific words. The closest thing I found was not set at a low setting.

My entire xorg.conf is here, and my Xorg.0.log is here. (Especially relevant log lines are highlighted, lines 809, 810, and 859.)

By the way, this isn't an ATI board, it's an ASUS board with an ATI Radeon X1600 chip. I've had it working before, though...
    Last edited by SheeEttin; 24 March 2007, 01:36 PM.

Oookay, following this seemed to solve that problem. Unfortunately, now I've got another one. This one seems simpler. Now X reports "No DRM connection for driver fglrx". Others have had this error, but it doesn't seem that it's caused by the same thing.

Since it changed a bit, my new xorg.conf is here. Current Xorg.0.log is here. Important lines highlighted, again.

While I was highlighting lines in my log, I noticed a new line saying it couldn't load the fglrx module. This might be because the how-to I followed told me to blacklist "fglrx". Should I have done something more? "modprobe fglrx" gives "FATAL: Error running install command for fglrx".

EDIT: And every time that modprobe fails, I get a new "fglrx: version magic '2.6.15-28-686 SMP preempt 686 gcc-4.1' should be '2.6.15-28-686 SMP preempt 686 gcc-4.0'" in /var/log/messages. Is this saying I should compile with GCC 4.0?
    Last edited by SheeEttin; 24 March 2007, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Problem solved. It did indeed need to be compiled with GCC 4.0.

Comment

Working...
      X