Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Eee Top Fails With Linux

Phoronix: ASUS Eee Top Fails With Linux

ASUS is among the few tier-one hardware vendors that understands Linux. Of the dozens of ASUS products we have tested over the years, it is hard to remember a product from ASUS that did not work well with Linux. ASUS was even the first motherboard vendor to ship with an embedded instant-on Linux environment known as SplashTop and they continued their adoption of this lightweight Linux desktop with their notebooks and a massive number of motherboards. Earlier this year ASUS also struck a deal to put Phoenix HyperSpace on some of their products, which is another Linux-based environment. On top of these other Linux efforts, ASUS also ships a modified version of Xandros Linux on their very popular Eee PC series. Their recently introduced Eee Top series, however, is not Linux friendly at all with the current generation of Linux distributions. The ASUS Eee Top ET1602 is a mighty fine piece of hardware at an exceptional value, but it does not know how to play with Linux without taking some advanced steps.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The ASUS Eee Top ET1602 is a mighty fine piece of hardware at an exceptional value, but it does not know how to play with Linux"

Isn't it usually the other way around? Like "Linux does not know how to play well with it" :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      "The ASUS Eee Top ET1602 is a mighty fine piece of hardware at an exceptional value, but it does not know how to play with Linux"

Isn't it usually the other way around? Like "Linux does not know how to play well with it" :P
      If even such old 'piece of software' like xp works on it it's triple e fault.

Comment

Ubuntu 8.10 runs very well on the Eee PC and other Atom-powered devices.
        I bought an EEE 1000H laptop and both wifi-n and 100Mbit lan did not work with the current 8.04 or on the horizon 8.10. Only with the alpha's of 9.04 did they work.

I have also seen more and more comments on Anandtech that complain that computer company's are using atom in the wrong devices and in this case I agree. The only reasons to use atom is low power and cost(because atom is cheaper to make). But this device is always plugged in and has room to spare for a nice big heatsink. So why go atom? Wouldn't a nice AMD platform with a Radeon3300 and their low power athlon with a big passive heatsink be much better?

Comment

"ASUS is among the few tier-one hardware vendors that understands Linux."

Well, that's not what Asus tech support thinks, they'll just tell you Linux is not supported. I've seen lots of people complaining about Asus Laptop issued installing Linux, especially with AMD based ones, because of crappy ACPI code. Just take a look at Asus's own support forums, or head over notebookreview.com's forums.

I own a F8Va, and I had a bad time getting Ubuntu to work on it. This thing did not work even with the VESA xorg driver, so a text-based install is a must with acpi=off as a kernel argument.

It works pretty well now, after a couple BIOS updates, a custom 2.6.28.x kernel and the fglrx driver. The radeon, radeonhd or vesa drivers are still a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            If even such old 'piece of software' like xp works on it it's triple e fault.
            Obviously, XP works on it because it comes with pre-installed drivers from the vendor.
            Try to install "vanilla XP" on it and... good luck!

Point is that this test was made too early, in a month linux will be able to play it nicely even on the eeeBox.

Also, might be worth trying Fedora 11 Beta due out in a few days, usually Fedora tracks upstream development more closely than Ubuntu.

Comment

OMG... Ubuntu doesn't run out-of-the-box on this weird piece of hardware and you state that it "Fails With Linux"?

I'm shocked with this "Linux is Ubuntu liveCDs" assumption!
              Last edited by VuDu; 17 March 2009, 03:31 PM. Reason: fixed "Ubuntu liveCDs are Linux" to "Linux is Ubuntu liveCDs"

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                Obviously, XP works on it because it comes with pre-installed drivers from the vendor.
                Try to install "vanilla XP" on it and... good luck!
                Yes, that's a point

Comment

Originally posted by VuDu View Post
                  OMG... Ubuntu doesn't run out-of-the-box on this weird piece of hardware and you state that it "Fails With Linux"?

I'm shocked with this "Linux is Ubuntu liveCDs" assumption!
                  QFT
                  Linux != Ubuntu

Comment

When you don't create a launchpad bug entry then this could happen. Did you create one? Usually U does nothing without... The used gfx chipset must be really old in theory so it could be only a small issue. Maybe intel gfx devs could tell you more.

Comment

Working...
                    X