Cedega 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedega 5.2

Has anyone tried this out yet? The new version has allot of cool new features (and some old features revamped).

One thing I love is the new GDDB database of games and settings. This will really help out new users coming to the platform.

I have also noticed improved performance in Steam based games like Day of Defeat Source and Counter Strike Source as well as FarCry now works for me, and Diablo 2 doesn't complain about the Play CD anymore (Copy protection appears to now work correctly.)

If you have the extra $5 a month to spare for gaming on Linux, I would highly recommend Cedega. I have been using it for better than a year and have seen vast improvements in that time; makes me glad to see my $5 being well spent...

Joe

I haven't tried out 5.2. I used cedega for a couple months some time ago (and had a fairly good experience), but I'm not keen on having to pay a monthly fee. If they released a standalone product I would definitely jump on that.

I never noticed the games database before. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm very seriously considering getting it just so I can play some Civ4.

Comment

I also want to know if it's any good. My experience with Cedega has been very mixed though...

Comment

I'm totally going to try it out, Hopefully I get it to work in FC5 as I am stuck with it for 6 weeks because of class. Does anyone know if it will work in Ubuntu Dapper? I only ask because of the Xorg update that Cedega was a little slow on.

Comment

I'm not interested in Cedega anymore due to lack of support for older games. It seems that Transgaming's focus is limited to new titles only. Personally, I'd like to see enhanced support of Icewind Dale and its sequal and Planescape: Torment. The first-mentioned *almost* works perfectly except for multiplayer and 3D-acceleration, which causes autosaving and quicksaving to break.

Comment

This is just a tad off topic, but I hadn't looked into purchasing Cedega for quite some time until the 5.2 release (no particular reason for that), but I wasn't sure the pricing structure is quite the same as it used to be. IIRC it used to be $5/month with a 3 month minimum, but now it appears that price is only available to those renewing their subscription? Do new subscribers have to pay the $55 for a whole year?

Comment

It's been a while since I paid for Cedega and I have no idea how the payment scheme goes now.

Comment

Originally posted by threethirty
                I'm totally going to try it out, Hopefully I get it to work in FC5 as I am stuck with it for 6 weeks because of class. Does anyone know if it will work in Ubuntu Dapper? I only ask because of the Xorg update that Cedega was a little slow on.

I am using it using Kubuntu (Dapper) and it works like a charm. Just make sure you install the necessary deps that need to be installed...

Originally posted by niniendowarrior
                It's been a while since I paid for Cedega and I have no idea how the payment scheme goes now.
                Apparently, you pay for a year at a time.

Originally posted by shoegoo
                Do new subscribers have to pay the $55 for a whole year?
                I went to the Transgaming site and it does appear that you have to pay for one year up front, but that not so bad. I have to pay $5 a month, so it works out to be $5 cheaper for the year subscription. Now, after that year, not sure if it goes to a month to month or not.

Originally posted by niniendowarrior
                I also want to know if it's any good. My experience with Cedega has been very mixed though...
                I have been using it for a few years and I can say that I have seen it improve quite a bit. This latest version is top notch in my opinion. Well worth the money I feel.

The preformace on my machine with games like Half Life 2 and mods, Far Cry, and Diablo 2 are right on par with Windows; I just love the new version. YMMV, however, with hardware, but I would give it a go...

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Shadewalker
                  Personally, I'd like to see enhanced support of Icewind Dale and its sequal and Planescape: Torment.
                  did you try GemRB ?

Comment

I never could figure out how GemRB worked... My Baldur's Gate 2 sits at home staring at me in the face. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X