No announcement yet.

ati 6.12 r700 Need Help Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just do a file search for files named radeon.ko and drm.ko -- you'll probably find them in two places.

One will be where you put the files, and the other will be where you need to put the files
    Last edited by bridgman; 28 March 2009, 04:59 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

I figured out the correct dir for ArchLinux which is
      /lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/ for drm.ko
      /lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/ for radeon.ko
      for which you have to backup the existing ones so you do not overwrite. I have tried to manually run drm.ko and radeon.ko with modprobe and get these errors:
      FATAL: Error inserting drm (/lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
      FATAL: Error inserting radeon (/lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
      In the dmesg output I get these errors:
      drm: Unknown symbol init_mm
      drm: Unknown symbol init_mm
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_open
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_fasync
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_poll
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_resource_len
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_get_reg_ofs
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_irq_uninstall
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_dev
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ioctl
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_exit
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_getsarea
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_debug
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_ioremapfree
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_get_map_ofs
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_init
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_addmap
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_resource_start
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_handle_vblank
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_cleanup_pci
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ati_pcigart_init
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_vblank_init
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_ioremap_wc
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_mmap
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_order
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ati_pcigart_cleanup
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_reclaim_buffers
      radeon: Unknown symbol drm_release

I also updated my kernel to 2.6.29-ARCH and rebuilt the drm accordingly, here is some updated info:
      dmesg http://pastebin.com/m5785f647
      Xorg.0.log http://pastebin.com/m10234ab6
      xorg.conf http://pastebin.com/m155da63b
      Last edited by sadklown; 28 March 2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Instead of manually copying these files, why not just do a "make install" followed by a "depmod -a"?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Instead of manually copying these files, why not just do a "make install" followed by a "depmod -a"?
          I tried at your suggestion but I still have the unknown symbol init_mm error

Comment

I have seen a couple of problems reported building the 6xx-7xx drm branch against drm against the latest 2.6.29 kernel, just in the last week or so. Maybe some last-minute change in the kernel ?

Anyways, on #radeonhd today one user was able to get past the build problem by locally merging with master, which I guess implies that there's a fix in master which helps. I skimmed the commit list for master and saw some possible candidates but nothing obvious.
            Test signature

Comment

@sadklown: I updated the "drm-radeon-module-git-r6xx-r7xx" package in AUR. I hope your problem is fixed now. At least with kernel 2.6.28.

Maybe you can give me feedback.

Comment

It worked always with 2.6.28, but not with 2.6.29 - i made a script which fetches git and creates a dkms package - always current then.

Comment

The build has not worked with either 2.6.28 or 2.6.29 for me I get the same error for both "unknown symbol init_mm". I recompiled again to watch the output closer and it warns me about "unknown symbol init_mm", but I do not know how to proceed from here. I will try the new AUR package. If I have any thing to report I certainly will.

Thanks gang

Comment

I did a search on driver builds failing with init_mm and found a heap of hits, for both NVidia and ATI/AMD, dating back a year or so. Hold on, I'll see if there are any common solutions.

EDIT - bah,.all the threads start by talking about init_mm then wander off topic and fix a completely different problem ;(
                    Last edited by bridgman; 30 March 2009, 12:15 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Hey everyone, I switched to Archlinux 64bit and everything works like a charm now. I just wanted to thank everyone for the help(even though it was all for naught).

Perry3d, I used your drm PKGBUILD and it worked perfectly once I switched, thany you very much makes everything so much easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X