Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before I can play 3D games WHILE running compiz!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before I can play 3D games WHILE running compiz!?

Hi, I have specifically registered for this forums just to ask one question. How long do I have to wait before I can watch flickerless video and play 3D/openGL games without having to disable Compiz first?!

(i don't know the units)

People have been talking about pre-release versions of Catalyst 9.4 having a lot of improvements though.

Personally, I just use the "Compiz Fusion Icon" tray applet thing

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post

(i don't know the units)

People have been talking about pre-release versions of Catalyst 9.4 having a lot of improvements though.

Personally, I just use the "Compiz Fusion Icon" tray applet thing
      Haha. Oh okay that's good news, when is 9.4 supposed to be out? Will Ubuntu update manager automatically update it for me or will I have to download it from ati.com and install it myself?

Yeah I have that as well but you see switching to metacity screws up the positions of som of my screenlets on the desktop and they don't return to their normal position when I go back to Compiz. Also AWN doesn't work in metacity mode. It's an ugly workaround really... we should have better support as clients of ATI/AMD and running a fast becoming popular operating system.

Comment

That's just not true. You can download version 8.563, but Catalyst 9.2 is already version 8.582. It was just a typo of Michael...
        And even the allmighty Catalyst 9.4 won't fix the flickering. At least the beta/rc doesn't. I won't expect a solution too early... As far as i know the fglrx needs a dri2-implementation to solve the flicker-problem.

Comment

So when can we expect this flickering thing to be long gone as it already is with the Nvidia counterparts?

And when is 9.4 released?

Comment

Maybe catalyst 10.4?

or Open source driver would implement 3D acceleration AND solve the flickerness before FGLRX ever have

Comment

10.4... :S When will THAT be released?? Next year? What on earth do ATI/AMD do all day... sit on their hands and play tiddlywinks?

Do the current open-source drivers fix this issue? I sort of had a play with them (I think) last week but can't remember whether they were the correct ones... this FGLRX/binary/proprietary stuff has got me quite confused. Which is which again?

Comment

You're pretty much going to have to swap before you go in 3d mode. But really this issue isnt just ATI, I mean its the same for my intel laptops and my Nvidia 8600GT.

ANywyas 3dgames slow down alot when compiz is running in the background i always find.

Make yourself a new useraccount when running a 3dgame and make a script to start a new xserver running a really light window manager just so you can start games.

I wish people would stop insulting ati devs, I mean where is that going to get you? Have you ever written a driver for something as complex as an entire range of graphics cards?

Comment

Hmm good thing I don't play games too often anymore. I would like to use Google Earth without having to switch to metacity all the time though. Oh well, just one of many small things that are preventing me from completely getting rid of Windows unfortunately. I suppose in another year or so things will have improved dramatically... support and widespread knowledge of Ubuntu is increasing exponentially, which is great!

Comment

considered running another ubuntu VM without metacity using virtualbox or similar? Or even using windows? THen you can have google earth fine. Or starting a new xserver.

There are so many ways of doing it. And really do you need compiz? I mean windows has nothing even close and no one complains yet when this beta piece of software doesnt work perfectly everyone goes : "oh no since compiz doesnt run i must go back to windows!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X