Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So is Steam coming to Linux or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaidog View Post
    It was never actually confirmed as Valve never said "We're making a linux client" it was just Michael making an assumption, which apparently was wrong.

Actually at least RunningWithScissors who are currently making Postal 3 are very well working on a Source client for Linux. I asked them whether there would be an actual Linux Source engine and other Source titles for the platform and their reply was:

"we are definately working towards this! keep in touch!"

Postal 3 is said to be launched with a working Source Linux engine and I can't think of any way Valve WOULDN'T put Steam in there. In the end Steam is the easiest part of porting those games.

Considering that Vince Desi's not one to make statements he can't back up, I'm thinking the odds are even right at the moment that we're going to see at least Postal3 on Linux, leaving it open for other Source ports to be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Considering that Vince Desi's not one to make statements he can't back up, I'm thinking the odds are even right at the moment that we're going to see at least Postal3 on Linux, leaving it open for other Source ports to be possible.
    My theory goes like this: RWS isn't capable or interested in porting the Source engine by themselves for a single game. Therefore Valve (who were already proceeding with a port) offered them a win-win situation. Both Valve and RWS port the Source engine cooperatively (which gives them additional feedback by implementing an entirely new game Postal 3). Then Valve gets back the rights to use Source Linux code and they would be foolish to NOT release their other games once Steam and Source both run on Linux.

It wasn't Mr. Desiderio btw. it was Mike Jaret-Schachter who told me this but it only confirms what earlier interviews had already promised.