Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Clutter Backend For The Wayland Display Server

Phoronix: A Clutter Backend For The Wayland Display Server
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great ! Qt is on the way, GTK still needs to get cleaner(http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/ClientSideWindows).

This should definitely become the new Linux's graphic server.
    I'm waiting for a friend to receive his EeePC (intel videocard) to try it out !

What do you think about it ?

Comment

Hi Michael.

More on!

Comment

i dont really know how all this works, but will all of this just work with our current drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
          i dont really know how all this works, but will all of this just work with our current drivers?
          No, it won't unless you're running a 2.6.29 kernel and using the latest Intel graphic drivers (Supporting and using GEM and KMS).

It is a bit tough to try it out at the moment, I'm really craving to see it on my computer. But it doesn't compile at the moment (Radeon), even with the latest kernel + experimental radeon KMS .

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
            No, it won't unless you're running a 2.6.29 kernel and using the latest Intel graphic drivers (Supporting and using GEM and KMS).

It is a bit tough to try it out at the moment, I'm really craving to see it on my computer. But it doesn't compile at the moment (Radeon), even with the latest kernel + experimental radeon KMS .
            so we dont need to expect this working with any of the proprietary drivers any time soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
              so we dont need to expect this working with any of the proprietary drivers any time soon?
              Nope, not for a long while at least.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wayland won't be usable any time soon

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Nope, not for a long while at least.
                True, but, at the moment, the development is focused on bringing a new graphic server to embedded Linux. In fact, someone at Qt software thinks it will replace some code of Qtopia (that will be merged to Qt 4.6).

But, Kristian also thinks Wayland could become the new graphic server. Xorg would run in nested mode if needed. It will be great to have this plugin-based graphic server running on a cellphone and on desktops.

I can wait for a Wayland back-end to Qt !

Comment

I'm really looking forward to the GTK port - I'm thinking of installing Gentoo, Arch or Fedora on my Macbook to try Wayland out as it is, and it will be great when you can run some applications on it without having to have them running in an X server.

I think Wayland looks really promising as a replacement for X, and hopefully in two or three years there will be enough driver and toolkit support for some distributions to start adopting it by default!

Comment

Well lets see if Kristian takes me up on my offer to work to get it merged; Nothing like being unemployed to make you want to work on open source!

Comment

Working...
                    X