Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Goes On Within AMD's Linux Beta Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Louise View Post
    I have seen this mistake so often on Phoronix, so now I must mention it

It is bad practice to start a sentence or head line with "More on" because it sounds like "Moron" when you read it.

You will never see a news paper do that.

One of my English profs explained the importance of thinking through
    sentence structure so as not to be phonetically or grammatically
    careless, i.e. 'Me and Jim went to the arcade' as it could sound like
    'Mean Jim went to the arcade', proper grammar is 'Jim and I went to
    the arcade.'

Byt please no more "More on"
    Lol . And I was laughing on a BBC news article about Eurovision axing the Ukranian entry "We don't want to put in".

Comment

Jeez, Michael! Your articles are becoming like ATi Drivers.... SHIT, SHIT, really fukin SHIT.

This year NVIDIA has been following the "release early, release often" mantra with it seeming like two weeks can't even go by without seeing a new Linux driver -- whether it's a beta driver, an official driver update, or one of their legacy drivers picking up a few fixes (at times they have even released four drivers at once).
      Thats really wordy. Who wrote that? Its impossible to read. Try this:

Originally posted by cxo
      Picking up new fixes, for either beta, official or legacy drivers, Nvidia's new mantra of "release early, release often" makes it seem as if not even two weeks goes by before the release of a new Linux driver.
      The sentence is still pretty wordy, but at least it makes a little sense now. Try to have an objective in each paragraph, and try not to obscure its meaning. You aren't writing a novel. Expecting "good" literary content on the internet are of days gone by, so dont sweat it. Keep it simple.

================================================== ==================

Phoronix has been apart of this program for years ...
      Thats really sad. Why dont you ask ATi if they would make you a part of their program.

... but those testing this driver are under a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement with AMD regarding pre-releases of their Linux software.
      C'mon, this is worse than the opening paragraph.
      Try this
      Originally posted by cxo
      ... but those testing pre-release software are under a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement with AMD

Today, however, AMD has decided to declassify some information pertaining to its Linux Graphics Driver Beta Program.
      You need to stop talking to yourself when you write articles.
      Originally posted by cxo
      However, today AMD has decided to declassify some information pertaining to its Linux Graphics Driver Beta Program.
      Proper use of discourse markers and 1 less comma = better sentence. Just feel the flow. Feel it flow.

AMD's target participants for beta Linux driver testing is the general public, OEMs, ODMs, Linux vendors, ISVs, IHVs, open-source community members, enterprise and channel customers, and enthusiasts.
      participants = plural
      is = singular
      It should be:
      Originally posted by cxo
      AMD's target participants for beta Linux driver testing are the general public, OEMs, ODMs, Linux vendors, ISVs, IHVs, open-source community members, enthusiasts and both enterprise and channel customers.
      by the way, wtf is a channel "customer"?

Not covered on this private beta list is normally any direct tech support, an AMD question answering session, access to AMD developers, access to proprietary source-code, or access to hardware and driver road-maps.
      Fuk. This is just rubbish. Michael! unlike cheapskates like me, you have "PAYING" readership. Give them at least their $2.50 worth a month, would ya.

Originally posted by cxo
      The private beta list is not an AMD QA session, nor is it meant to facilitate any direct tech support, provides access to AMD developers, proprietary source code or hardware and driver road-maps.

Its a good thing I usually only stop by to see benchmarks. Otherwise I'd have lost my mind by now reading this type of material.

Michael, there is a good book, part of the Reader's Digests collection called... "How To Read And Write Better" - Please buy it, and read it. You can order it directly from Reader's Digest. Even ebay seems to have had a copy, http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....m=380089724189

Comment

Jeez cruiseoveride, you really live up to your screen name.
        Although what I find unfortunate is that override is spelled with 2 R's.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
          Jeez, Michael! Your articles are becoming like ATi Drivers.... SHIT, SHIT, really fukin SHIT.
          Apologies... I'll make more of an effort to write with better grammar in future articles. The fact of the matter is each day I usually end up writing at least one article, benchmarking various pieces of hardware, writing between one and five news posts, working on the Phoronix Test Suite, working on other Phoronix Media properties, and working on my other company too. By the end of the day I am very exhausted.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
            Jeez cruiseoveride, you really live up to your screen name.
            Although what I find unfortunate is that override is spelled with 2 R's.
            Yeah, i'm still in court with the Oxford English Dictionary about that.

Comment

@cruiseoveride

Are you a wannabe english teacher? I see no reason to correct articles - write your own. If you are not a native speaker and no english teacher you would not even find all those errors you find...

Comment

Cruiseoveride: do you ever post anything positive, or anything not degrading? I am yet to see so.

Comment

Whatever it is, any reasonable person will agree that it is a pretty pointless article . I could see it from the title, but I read it all along to expect some punchline, but nope, nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
                    Cruiseoveride: do you ever post anything positive, or anything not degrading? I am yet to see so.
                    Hey, it is pretty clear to most of us having read that particular article that it is not one of Michael's best ones. Cruiseoveride put some time into explaining why this one is extra difficult to follow and Michael responded. Constructive input, no feelings hurt from what we can tell and chances of future improvements.

Phoronix is the #1 site for desktop hardware testing and reporting in Linux and we should really expect journalism of a general quality above your average blog. What is there really to complain about?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      @cruiseoveride

Are you a wannabe english teacher? I see no reason to correct articles - write your own. If you are not a native speaker and no english teacher you would not even find all those errors you find...
                      Agreed with you Kano, but cruiseoveride is right when he request more simple wording in articles. For non native-english speakers as I am, Michael's articles are sometimes hard to read !
                      However, I completely disagree with the manner that cruiseoveride said that to Michael. It's a very aggressive manner of saying things.

Comment

Working...
                      X