AMD 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 4x4

Just wondering, who's planning to jump into the technology when it hits?

I do like the idea of being able to upgrade to 2x quad cores when they hit in 2007, though it's a big entry price...

Also, I've heard that AM3 cpu's *may* be able to be using in AM2 mobos, if that's the case does it hold true for the 4x4 setup? Can I go pov spec now with a single low end CPU and continue to upgrade it over the next couple of years without needing a mobo/ram/gpu upgrade?

We'll have 4x4 systems at Phoronix when the time comes to deliver GNU/Linux results.

Since AMD currently doesn't use FB-DIMMs in their desktop line-up, you will not be able to seamlessly upgrade to DDR3 once that is out, without making other upgrades.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
      We'll have 4x4 systems at Phoronix when the time comes to deliver GNU/Linux results.

Since AMD currently doesn't use FB-DIMMs in their desktop line-up, you will not be able to seamlessly upgrade to DDR3 once that is out, without making other upgrades.
      But what about upgrading to AM3 cpu's? Or do you think these will be tied to DDR3 in the same way as AM2's require DDR2?

Comment

I haven't see many technical documents yet on AM3 (or have that piece of information confirmed by any of my contacts) but yes I have heard the rumor that AM3 is backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Yes, I can't see DDR3 happening -that- soon. AM3 should be seeing the light of day far before DDR3 does, really.

Michael, Are you able to tell us which CPU's you are using in the 4x4? I've been reading around that any DC will work well in it. I'd love to just grab another 4600+ when the time came if that was the case.

Comment

Not sure yet at this time which CPUs we'll end up using for the 4x4 when delivering our results.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
              Just wondering, who's planning to jump into the technology when it hits?

I do like the idea of being able to upgrade to 2x quad cores when they hit in 2007, though it's a big entry price...

Also, I've heard that AM3 cpu's *may* be able to be using in AM2 mobos, if that's the case does it hold true for the 4x4 setup? Can I go pov spec now with a single low end CPU and continue to upgrade it over the next couple of years without needing a mobo/ram/gpu upgrade?

By the time I get money saved up the Quad Core Opties will be ready. heck ya I am going to dive in with both feet. just hoping that they have 2.8+ Ghz available when i am going to buy.

Comment

I'm hoping the 4x4 platfrom will support all AM2 Dual cores because I kinda bought a cheap motherboard in hopes that when 4x4 comes out I can get another 3800DC a new mobo and another gpu for the whole dual everything approch.

Comment

Working...
                X