Intel Readies New X.Org Video Driver Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tested here, all unstable performance boost options in xorg.conf enabled:

- Options PageFlip and TripleBuffer are now gone; I hope this means they are now on per default.
    - rather significant boost with EXA in gtkperf; no change, maybe small regression with glxgears
    - big boost with UXA in glxgears, but still _far_ behind EXA; gtkperf hangs the system.
    - 2.6.29-rc7 totally unusable here.

Update: Removed all that Options from xorg.conf and a very little bit of the performance moved from 2D to 3D.
    Last edited by TheK; 11 March 2009, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_L View Post
      uxa is still far from usable, when using uxa and compiz and maximizing firefox for example, desktop icons will flash through, etc.

otherwise I have no problems with this driver

UXA works for me on Fedora 10 with updates matching rawhide's versions of the X server, mesa, drm, kernel stuff.

Actually this is the first time that Compiz has been very usable for me. Previously it irritated me the trade off between eye candy and the ability to run 3D applications without ugliness.

Comment

Originally posted by TheK View Post
        Tested here, all unstable performance boost options in xorg.conf enabled:

- Options PageFlip and TripleBuffer are now gone; I hope this means they are now on per default.
        - rather significant boost with EXA in gtkperf; no change, maybe small regression with glxgears
        - big boost with UXA in glxgears, but still _far_ behind EXA; gtkperf hangs the system.
        If you want to benchmark the 3D stuff then you definately need to use something other then glxgears. Glxgears is performance bound in a way that will typically not affect real-world 3D applications to nearly the same degreee. So it's quite possible to have low Glxgears numbers and have good 3D performance otherwise.

UXA promise is that it is going offer a much more efficient way to run complex setups with both 2D and 3D acceleration going on.

So running a game in window mode in compiz vs doing the same with the legacy EXA stuff is probably going to provide the most useful results.

If it can't do that in a stable manner, also, then it's pretty worthless.

Comment

Working...
        X