Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Readies New X.Org Video Driver Release

Phoronix: Intel Readies New X.Org Video Driver Release

It has been nearly three months since the release of xf86-video-intel 2.6, which means it's almost time for their next open-source driver update to arrive (they abide by a quarterly release cycle). As a sign of this, Intel's Carl Worth is heading the xf86-video-intel 2.7 driver management and he has pushed out the first release candidate. The xf86-video-intel 2.7 RC1 driver contains a variety of improvements to kernel mode-setting, UXA acceleration, XvMC, and many other changes and improvements. The release announcement and change-log for the first xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 release candidate can be found on the X.Org mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, errors about missing several .g4b-files?!

Comment

Originally posted by TheK View Post
      Hmm, errors about missing several .g4b-files?!

Comment

Exactly that one; so time to wait

Comment

Just two doubts of mine:

Will this be default for Jaunty? And will this release fix that awful performance regressions we saw early?

Comment

uxa is still far from usable, when using uxa and compiz and maximizing firefox for example, desktop icons will flash through, etc.

otherwise I have no problems with this driver

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
              Just two doubts of mine:

Will this be default for Jaunty? And will this release fix that awful performance regressions we saw early?
              Jaunty still sits on 2.6.1, so I don#t have that much hope. Additionally all newer versions require an updated libdrm, which needs to be tested, if it breaks anything for other drivers - esp. the ATI ones might be important here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheK View Post
                Jaunty still sits on 2.6.1, so I don#t have that much hope. Additionally all newer versions require an updated libdrm, which needs to be tested, if it breaks anything for other drivers - esp. the ATI ones might be important here.
                libdrm 2.4.5 entered jaunty today

Comment

No DisplayPort

Another release with out DisplayPort and another release that relegates the x200s docking station to the "money wasted on crap" pile. Come on Intel, I really really don't want to run Vista just so I can use a video connection ...

Comment

This release (using EXA) with Linux 2.6.29 RC7, Xserver 1.6 and Mesa 7.3 improves the performance and fix many screen corruptions for me in 865G hardware compared to 2.6.1 from Ubuntu Jaunty.

UXA is also better, but OpenGL is very bad. Also, it is not possible to play a video using XV, everything is green.
                    Last edited by KDesk; 10 March 2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X