No announcement yet.

Is radeonhd healthy for your laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, a 100% running fan can be quite noisy and annoying in the long run...

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
      In that case, make sure that ventilation is good all round the laptop and running it at full pace shouldnt give you any troubles. I know my girlfriends Acer laptop can't run at 100% for more than a few minutes without crashing...
      Should this be a solution to the problem? It's ridiculous.

As long as there is no Powerplay in open source drivers I won't use them in any laptop I maintain (especialy in any HD3650, HD2600 or X1600). Without powerplay the card may burn or something and there is extreme noise from fan which works in full load and if he works in full load it wears faster and cools worse and that leads to even more heat so in the end you can have sight of your notebook burning on your lap and under your fingers.

Comment

Not having power management support is no worse than running a graphics intensive application (like a game) continuously. If your laptop isn't engineered to be able to handle that, it's a defective design. At worse, there might be slightly more wear and tear, because the fan must run faster to cool machine.

Comment

If it were an nVidia card, it would be toast by now :P

Joking aside, fglrx does not support PowerPlay on my Mobility 3650, at least that's what "aticonfig --lsp" says. If this is the case, using radeonhd would not make any difference at all.

I would love to test radeonhd or radeon drivers, but it just doesn't work for me, I just get a white screen, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by glock24 View Post
            If it were an nVidia card, it would be toast by now :P

Joking aside, fglrx does not support PowerPlay on my Mobility 3650, at least that's what "aticonfig --lsp" says. If this is the case, using radeonhd would not make any difference at all.

I would love to test radeonhd or radeon drivers, but it just doesn't work for me, I just get a white screen, nothing else.
            Thats odd. Mine says that too.

Code:
            $ aticonfig --lsp
            Error: POWERplay is not supported on your hardware.
            But its much cooler with fglrx than with radeonhd.
            BTW does the radeonhd support hdmi and vga out?

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
              BTW does the radeonhd support hdmi and vga out?
              Yes.

(I have to type at least 10 characters, system won't take just "Yes"
              Test signature

Comment

@Bridgeman

Hehe :-) Actually you made me to try Kubuntu Jaunty, with the latest ati drivers.

This runs VERY good indeed. And love xrandr 1.3 Works very good with my plasma TV.

Comment

Working...
                X