Catalyst 9.2 on Fedora 10 x86_64 hangs on building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moronix View Post
    I'd say 3d support is a major thing. It's almost pointless to use a 3d card just for 2d. But besides that, last time I checked radeonhd doesn't work on all chips that fglrx works with, like some IGP crap I have.
    I agree. It's really a shame that they drop fglrx support for those cards when the open-source drivers just arent't that far advanced yet. I guess I'm lucky that I've found a solution that most likely will work for me (radeonhd on my old laptop which I'll then use only for basic internet/office tasks/watching videos and a new laptop with Nvidia for the 3D stuff), otherwise I'd be much more pissed.

Comment

In case it helps, we're not saying that the open source drivers are sufficiently advanced *today*. If we went with quarterly updates of fglrx for 5xx and below (like we're doing for Windows), the first update would be around June and we felt that the open source drivers were likely to be sufficiently advanced by *then*.

Today we haven't dropped anything other than an announcement; this is all about the future
      Last edited by bridgman; 15 March 2009, 04:03 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        In case it helps, we're not saying that the open source drivers are sufficiently advanced *today*. If we went with quarterly updates of fglrx for 5xx and below (like we're doing for Windows), the first update would be around June and we felt that the open source drivers were likely to be sufficiently advanced by *then*.

Today we haven't dropped anything other than an announcement; this is all about the future
        Yeah, we'll see... Would be nice if my old laptop could keep most of it's current functionality under F11. Bridgman, I really value your efforts here on the forums and I think that AMD's recent commitment to the open-source drivers was a good step, but the lack of support especially for the last two Fedora releases really ruined it for me... I think most of us don't care too much for GPU brands, but just want something that works with the distro they choose (especially if it's one of the more popular ones).

Comment

Under F11 you may find you get *more* functionality with the open drivers than the closed ones even if Fedora were fully supported by fglrx.

F11 should be the first place where KMS, DRI2, RDR, and the radeon-rewrite effort all come together; I think it (or Rawhide) is also where most of the Gallium3D-on-AMD work is being done.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Just curious which hardware you have.
            If you mean me it's a xpress200

Comment

Working...
            X