Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD solve the Wine Problem with Cat/Fglrx 9-4alpfa

I think he gets the betas directly from a beta tester it probably is real.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmozilla View Post
    I'm lost here, if there are beta 9.4 drivers why aren't they out in the wild and posted here?

Why are you not sharing these drivers?

Because the betas are distributed under NDAs. People are not supposed to "pass them around", and Phoronix being the big ATI fansite it is, I doubt it will condone such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Because the betas are distributed under NDAs. People are not supposed to "pass them around", and Phoronix being the big ATI fansite it is, I doubt it will condone such a thing.
    Right and the most NDAs say also ist not allowed to talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Yep and that's good. The problem with designing code around the FOSS drivers is that, right now, you have to give up about 8 years of advancements in graphics. Even though I hate writing blob-specific code, the alternative is no GLSL, no FBOs, no PBOs - it's just not feasible! (especially so in Wine)

Granted, I'm talking from the perspective of high-end graphics. If all you want to do is write a 2d game or a bzflag clone, I guess it's fine (not great, but iyou can make it work).
    But once the memory managers and the new driver interfaces hit the streets there will be little reason to use the blobs if you're a desktop user (well, maybe if you got nvidia ). All I'm saying is that the end goal should be to start developing with the open source drivers in mind as a priority.

Usually someone leaks them on the "dark" places. IRC and Usenet for example. Google doesn't find them, you have to know where to look. But it's nothing to go crazy about. If you find them, the result is simply a disappointment that comes earlier than if you had waited for the final version

with 9.4 videoproblems with compiz are gone
    gtkperf delivers much better results
    quakewars runs smoother

(thats compared to 9.2)

9.4 is no disappointment at all

Quote Originally Posted by questioneer View Post
    with 9.4 videoproblems with compiz are gone
    gtkperf delivers much better results
    quakewars runs smoother

(thats compared to 9.2)

9.4 is no disappointment at all
    Sounds good. I can't wait. I got "some" problems with 9.2.
    Check your PM ;-)

So the first driver with the fix is also the first driver that my X1950 PRO isn't supported in? Thanks AMD.

OMG, this 9.4 RC1 driver is awesome. KDE 4.2 resizing is fixed! Its very very fast, no latency at all and with composition on.

XV video with compositing also works very smooth now. I don't got misplaced video output or anything odd. I don't even get crashes when playing a video in fullscreen??? :O

Is this really the driver version we have waited so long for? Is this really THE driver without disappointments?

Everyone waiting for this driver to be released really has something to be excited over.

<<If this is something I should not be talking about, feel free to delete my post. I don't know how phoronix / ati takes thiese discussions.>>

EDIT:
    Actually resizing with compositing seems a lot faster than without composition :P That said, resizing isn't slow without compositing, don't worry.
    Last edited by tball; 03-10-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    OMG, this 9.4 RC1 driver is awesome. KDE 4.2 resizing is fixed! Its very very fast, no latency at all and with composition on.

XV video with compositing also works very smooth now. I don't got misplaced video output or anything odd. I don't even get crashes when playing a video in fullscreen??? :O

Is this really the driver version we have waited so long for? Is this really THE driver without disappointments?

Everyone waiting for this driver to be released really has something to be excited over.

<<If this is something I should not be talking about, feel free to delete my post. I don't know how phoronix / ati takes thiese discussions.>>

EDIT:
    Actually resizing with compositing seems a lot faster than without composition :P That said, resizing isn't slow without resizing, don't worry.
    I guess you have not signed an NDA anyway so you are probably free to blab on. That said, how does suspend/resume, --set-powerstate and multiple screens work? The 2.6.29 linux kernel?