Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD solve the Wine Problem with Cat/Fglrx 9-4alpfa

Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    @Qaridarium

Not I want to find the 9.4 alpha driver ;-), but what's the filename of the fglrx driver exactly?
    ati-driver-installer-8.60_RC1-x86.x86_64.run

Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    I also wonder. Is there a 'THE wine problem'? Isn't there more than one problem? Like an incomplete open-GL stack (compared to nvidia and what wine wants) etc.
    AMD fixed the Driver problem... not WINE can make the next step and write new code for the AMD Carts!

in the past wine can't support fglrx becourse of bugs.. now they can up to the next bug they found...

That, or Nvidia-specific codepaths written by the Wine developers, or Nvidia drivers not following the OpenGL specs (GLSL-over-Cg compiler, I'm looking at you!)

Not that I'm defending Amd's OpenGL drivers (I've been bitten by enough bugs that it hurts), but the amount of badly written, Nvidia-only code out there is staggering. About half of the GLSL tutorials out there call *Cg* functions for $deity's sake! Not talking about obscure blogs and things like that, either, there tutorials exist in high-profile OpenGL-centric sites. Bah, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    It's good that the Wine problem is fixed, but what about the Linux problem? :P
    the Opensource driver fix the linux problem...

but opengl1,4 and in futhure opengl 2.1 is not the winning part i think on wine you can'T win any cup with the opensource driver in the next 1 or 2 Years!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    That, or Nvidia-specific codepaths written by the Wine developers, or Nvidia drivers not following the OpenGL specs (GLSL-over-Cg compiler, I'm looking at you!)

Not that I'm defending Amd's OpenGL drivers (I've been bitten by enough bugs that it hurts), but the amount of badly written, Nvidia-only code out there is staggering. About half of the GLSL tutorials out there call *Cg* functions for $deity's sake! Not talking about obscure blogs and things like that, either, there tutorials exist in high-profile OpenGL-centric sites. Bah, I say.
    Thats not true the WINE DEVs has AMD/ATI codepaths to!

but in the past the ATI codepaths hang on DX8 and the DX9 lag on bug's in the fglrx!

i can make Pictures with old 8.10 catalyst and 9.1/9.2 catalyst and 9.4 catalyst...

and you will see not all is going right with the same wine 1.1.16!

OpenGL3 on the 9.1 driver brings a Boost in colorfull ans speed but the rendering is to dark becourse some textures not have the right gamma...

in 9.4 you can see the wine app in 99% near to the windows nativ app.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post

True. However, as AMD hardware becomes more popular and accessible in Linux, all this will inevitably change. Of course, if you ask me the desired thing to do would be to code around open source drivers instead of the blobs, but that's the FOSS fanatic in me talking .

True. However, as AMD hardware becomes more popular and accessible in Linux, all this will inevitably change. Of course, if you ask me the desired thing to do would be to code around open source drivers instead of the blobs, but that's the FOSS fanatic in me talking .
    Yep and that's good. The problem with designing code around the FOSS drivers is that, right now, you have to give up about 8 years of advancements in graphics. Even though I hate writing blob-specific code, the alternative is no GLSL, no FBOs, no PBOs - it's just not feasible! (especially so in Wine)

Granted, I'm talking from the perspective of high-end graphics. If all you want to do is write a 2d game or a bzflag clone, I guess it's fine (not great, but iyou can make it work).

I'm lost here, if there are beta 9.4 drivers why aren't they out in the wild and posted here?

Why are you not sharing these drivers?

The driver hasn't been leaked, unless it's on the backwoods of the internet (irc, newsgroups, etc). Nothing he posted is really news to me since on the bug report AMD said they found the problem and it normally takes 2-3 months for fixes to go in the driver. I'm content to wait for the official release since I only use wine to play games and I can patch wine to workaround the issue.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17437

Ok ok. the Catalyst 9.4 RC1 sure looks real...