Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADEON CARDS and JAVA3D

Hi,

I am trying to use a JAVA3D application on a linux host with a radeon card and encountering problems with disappearing 3d objects.

The application in question is SweetHome3D 1.6 (it is free, so anybody can make the test, see http://www.sweethome3d.eu/)

My configuration consists in an older Athlon based PC with a Radeon 9600XT and ubuntu intrepid 32 bit. I am using kde 4.2.1 with effects on.

The java 3d application should display 4 panels. In one of them you enter a 2d drawing. In another one you should see a 3d rendering.
    The problem is that the 3d rendering is only visible for a few instants and then it immediately disappears (blanks out).

This happens either:
    - with the proprietary catalyst 9.3 driver (that I have uninstalled anyway since support for my card is disappearing soon).
    - with the open source radeon driver.

I suspect that the issue might be common to most Java 3d apps on this card, and possibly with other AMD/ATI cards too.

I would like to ask if someone had similar experience, if I am missing something (eg in the xorg.conf) that might help and if someone might suggest some workaround.

Sergio

Originally posted by callegar View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to use a JAVA3D application on a linux host with a radeon card and encountering problems with disappearing 3d objects.

The application in question is SweetHome3D 1.6 (it is free, so anybody can make the test, see http://www.sweethome3d.eu/)

My configuration consists in an older Athlon based PC with a Radeon 9600XT and ubuntu intrepid 32 bit. I am using kde 4.2.1 with effects on.

The java 3d application should display 4 panels. In one of them you enter a 2d drawing. In another one you should see a 3d rendering.
    The problem is that the 3d rendering is only visible for a few instants and then it immediately disappears (blanks out).

This happens either:
    - with the proprietary catalyst 9.3 driver (that I have uninstalled anyway since support for my card is disappearing soon).
    - with the open source radeon driver.

I suspect that the issue might be common to most Java 3d apps on this card, and possibly with other AMD/ATI cards too.

I would like to ask if someone had similar experience, if I am missing something (eg in the xorg.conf) that might help and if someone might suggest some workaround.

Sergio
    Are you sure it's not the JVM your using? Icedtea for example still has issues with drawing on many java apps. Have you tried the actual Sun JVM?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Are you sure it's not the JVM your using? Icedtea for example still has issues with drawing on many java apps. Have you tried the actual Sun JVM?
      I have tried both the JVM provided with the application (That is a SUN JVM) and the SUN JVM distributed with ubuntu intrepid (the same, only slightly more recent), but it makes no difference.

What makes a difference is disabling the KDE 4 effects. Without the effects, everything is fine.

In the meantime I have also tried the same application on a laptop with Intel graphics, that has a slightly more conservative distro (ubuntu hardy). Here the basic application works fine, but a few functionalities do not work with Java 3d lacking p-buffers.

However, since this laptop is still at kde 3.5.10, that uses no effects, I cannot say if the application works only due to the lack of effects or if the intel graphics would be able to support the effects with it.

Comment

once I have same problem, but i can't confirm it now.

Comment

You need redirected rendering support from radeon driver to be able to use 3D applications while desktop effect are enabled. So currently only driver for radeon that supports it is fglrx.

I don't use desktop effects because I need to use opengl applications daily. There is just no easy way to combine them well.

Redirect rendering works so that kwin/compiz/etc renders everything to screen while opengl applications just render to a texture that is later rendered to screen. Currently driver just tries to render 2 images to same place causing window manager render black area where application is trying to render something.

Comment

Working...
          X