Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 0.10.0 Release To Bring Many Features

Phoronix: QEMU 0.10.0 Release To Bring Many Features

QEMU, the popular open-source processor emulator that can be run as a user-space program and also has found its way into use by the KVM and VirtualBox projects, will soon reach version 0.10.0 As was announced on the QEMU development list, a 0.10.0 branch has been created in its SVN repository as they near this next release. This release does bring some exciting changes. The latest stable release is QEMU 0.9.1, which made it out in January of last year, and since that point a plethora of new work has went into this code that's licensed under the LGPL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soon to be released?

It was released 2 days ago, see: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qe.../msg00154.html

Comment

I heard rumors that Qemu and userspace side of KVM were merging. Is this release the merger, or are we still far from this?

F

Comment

Funny coincidence. I just recently started playing around with qemu again. Nice to hear it's still actively being developed. It's not the fastest emulator (espacially without kqemu), but it has the big advantage to be usable completely without administrative privileges (no kernel-module necessary, no need to install anything). Thus it's the perfect choice for a system-on-usb-stick or similiar.
        Originally posted by russofris View Post
        I heard rumors that Qemu and userspace side of KVM were merging. Is this release the merger, or are we still far from this?
        Afaik the only thing KVM offers is a device /dev/kvm which provides means to implement emulation, but it does no emulation itself. So an emulator needs to take advantage of kvm. The only one doing this currently is a modified qemu-version, and it looks like this has now finally been merged to master.
        So qemu and kvm are not merging, but kvm only exposes some hardware-abilities to userspace-programs like qemu.

Comment

I think the big question is.. will it finally both compile and work with gcc4?

Comment

Yeah, GCC4 support would be nice. I'm currently using the prebuilt binaries they offer on their website, and they work fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
              Funny coincidence. I just recently started playing around with qemu again. Nice to hear it's still actively being developed. It's not the fastest emulator (espacially without kqemu), but it has the big advantage to be usable completely without administrative privileges (no kernel-module necessary, no need to install anything). Thus it's the perfect choice for a system-on-usb-stick or similiar.
              Hey, I hadn't thought about that. I don't run Qemu since a very good while, and definitely it wasn't the fastest, but this point you make about not needing administrative privileges is exactly what I need at work. My admin set up Wine there but it really doesn't cut it for what I want to run, and he'll never install a virtual machine for me, so...thanks for the idea.

Comment

well, it works quite well with gcc4, but the virtual cirrus logic is borked (it doesn't matter if compiled with gcc3 or gcc4), windows xp and linux with X and the cirrus logic driver works fine, but in win95 and win98 i get screen corruption with this release :\

Comment

Well I hope they've concentrated on stability. Last time I tried it was barely usable. Interminable crashes with XP 32-bit emulated under QEMU running on 64-bit SuSE. This was with kqemu but forget it without. And when it didn't crash it'd often freeze the entire machine for minutes at a time before it decided to unfreeze.

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
                    windows xp and linux with X and the cirrus logic driver works fine, but in win95 and win98 i get screen corruption with this release :\
                    Maybe there's a Cirrus Logic driver you can manually install? I know it's usually a bit of a foreign concept, but those clunky Windows OSes sometimes need that

Comment

Working...
                    X