Sacred Gold On Linux Has Gone Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlackerTD View Post
    If you want a more recent discussion on LGP's DRM (with Michael @ LGP providing answers on this), take a look at the blog posting on it.
    thankyou.

the following quote has greatly eased my mind:
    The first and most important issue I would like to address is that no, you do NOT require internet access to install or to play the games, you do not need a disc in your drive, and you do not need to enter in your key or password every time you play. These are all myths. You need to enter a key and password (and optionally your email address) when you install the game, and that is it. You do not need to worry about it again.
    when i read the initial phoronix article i got the impression that online activation was necessary, this would appear not to be the case.

i am an archivist by nature, and one who spends a lot of time on the road without access to an internet connect, and most particularly, one who objects to a system whereby i am forced to ask 'permission' to install a game that i consider i have already legally 'bought'.

with GoG games i can keep the installer in my archive for as long as i please, and if i find myself several years later with a desire to play the game, the fact that i might live in a log-cabin in montana will not prevent me from installing the game and playing it. ultimate convenience and a privilege i will always pay for.

with LGP (as i currently understand it), i can live in that log cabin with my digital archive of Sacred and provided i have kept a copy of the install-key and password i will also be able to install and play the game. in short; acceptable convenience.

the next step down the convenience scale is a CDROM based game with a CD-key that will likewise allow me to play games in my log-cabin provided i have the disc and the key. again; acceptable convenience as the LGP password is balanced by the need to keep a physical disk).

where we get to unacceptable inconvenience is the current trend with new games of demanding an internet authorization before i can install and play agame. sat in my putative log-cabin i am in short shafted. this travesty is often compounded by a limited number of installs, which is a nightmare to someone who replaces his gaming hardware frequently and likes to keep old games so he can relive that magic moment in the future.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    now, i am a dedicated gamer and that does mean i buy these awful games, because i have too. but GoG and LGP release older titles which i have already had opportunity to purchase and play so they need to offer a different advantage to the gamer, GoG does it with zero-DRM and a cheap price whereas LGP would appear to be heading for limited-DRM and linux support.

that's ok with me, i see value in both those ideas, but the whole advantage to me of LGP would fall off a cliff if it only allowed me to play old windows titles with horrible restrictive DRM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    so to sum up: if i can archive my LGP titles for when i retire to said montana log-cabin then i am a happy bunny.
    Last edited by R3MF; 09 March 2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
      so to sum up: if i can archive my LGP titles for when i retire to said montana log-cabin then i am a happy bunny.
      In short, yes. Moreover, since we all have access to the DRM and the titles we're responsible for, all the consultants who DO the porting are under the understanding that if LGP does shut it's doors we're to push out a version sans DRM on the titles that get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... I guess you'd have passed on the Windows version if you were into that sort of thing. Anything other than the currently offered GoG download version of Sacred has DRM in it.
        Exactly. I've not got a copy, the last windows game I purchased was HoI2: Collectors edition, which incidentally was my third copy of HoI2...

I played it at a friends house, and while interesting, wasn't that special for me. I'll stick to Nethack for my monster killing urges.

Comment

I used to be a major Angband junkie (never really took to NetHack - don't know why) and even NWN didn't really pull my RPG attentions away from Angband. However, having been in the beta and played Sacred:Gold from start to finish as a Vampiress, I will be buying the game because a) I still have more to explore, b) it's lots of fun and c) it's as addictive as anything I've played recently.

Comment

Okay... I'd really like to hear of a timeline for the demo!

Comment

Tuxgames and others are sending out Sacred Gold now.
              If you select the download option as well you could have it installed today.
              It installed just fine for me... but they forgot to send out a cdkey with the download option so I still have to wait another week or so before I get my CD and start to play.
              Edit: Tuxgames now hands out a temporary cdkey for the downloaded version so now it's finally playable.
              Last edited by a7v-user; 12 April 2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

@Svartalf

Is the game data the same to be able to create a patch against the Win version and use that for example with a localized variant?

Comment

Seems to be the same but... there's a nice no-modify clause in the EULA so you'd need written consent before starting on that patch or mod. Besides, I don't see any mods for the windows version either so it's not like we're missing out on a lot of cool stuff like for Diablo2 or Arcanum.
                  Last edited by a7v-user; 10 April 2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    @Svartalf

Is the game data the same to be able to create a patch against the Win version and use that for example with a localized variant?
                    It should be.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                      Okay... I'd really like to hear of a timeline for the demo!
                      Indeed, LGP said they were "working on the finalising of the demo" back in march, so has it been finalised yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X