Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Legacy Driver Will Not Support X Server 1.6

Phoronix: AMD's Legacy Driver Will Not Support X Server 1.6

Early this morning we shared that AMD is dropping R300 through R500 support in the Catalyst driver. Beginning with the Catalyst 9.4 release, the Windows and Linux drivers will only support the R600 and R700 series (and eventually, R800) of ATI Radeon graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

well thats kind of "not good"
      have fun ranting!

Comment

They gave us documentation, they gave us Free code.
        Now they're seeing if we can stand on our own feet.
        ..We can.

More than nVidia ever did for us; Quit yer yappin'

Look at it this way: AMD just officially gave the Free ATi gpu drivers millions upon millions of testers and bug reporters, and probably many more developers than they themselves could employ for the cause. The actions they've taken, in the order they've taken them in, is excellent; How many resources would you prefer them waste in their phased open source driver transition? Just keep the documentation coming. When we all switch to Gallium3d, the performance deltas will disintegrate.
        Last edited by ethana2; 05 March 2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

great argument.

If Linus decided to kill Linux, think of all the free testers BSD and open solaris would get!!!!

STUPID argument

Comment

Linux is Free.
            Catalyst is not.

Different argument.

Comment

it's perfectly valid.
              you're claiming that it's a good thing that they leave paying customer in the cold because it will ensure that they (by being forced to) test the OSS driver.

paying customers shouldn't really be forced.

and, to sum up ATI driver development really well. (and, according to you,)
              it will mean that LATER the OSS driver will get better.

yup, with ATI it's always LATER.
              so, for the first year the driver is worse, but LATER it might be good.

I'm not sure about you, but i live in the present

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                Present eh?, when did you buy your old card? You've had the support you paid for so get over it.
                In fact, you should be grateful, that you get a lifeline of continued support in the open drivers,
                which is more than you'd ever get from nvidia where their legacy drivers get updated rarely.
                Last edited by poofyyoda; 05 March 2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

How many lines of hard code does a driver need to have, in order to function with a new xorg? Or does it depend on the xorg release itself?

Comment

it's perfectly valid.
                    you're claiming that it's a good thing that they leave paying customer in the cold because it will ensure that they (by being forced to) test the OSS driver.

If you don't upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 this spring, I'm going to bust a cap up in here. ..but yeah, I do get what you mean.

That's great! OS X will have LLVM optimized gpu drivers, kernel mode setting, a heavily engineered GUI, unix certification, and an extensive library of native, polished, and powerful software, like, yesterday! (although really, if Snow Leopard doesn't pack a system app store before gnome-apps-add allows you to buy commercial software, someone is going to get owned)

I only dabble in the present; I live in the future.
                    Last edited by ethana2; 05 March 2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X