KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    No really, Gnome as default is the most voted down feature in openFATE history.
    You are making a tiny mistake: the people that would want Gnome (business personel, your grandparents and the avarage n00b) probably weren't even aware of openFATE. I mean, how much percent of everybody does even care about computers? 90% or more probably hates these 'things' that cost a shitload of money, just to browse through electronic mail and then print it with expensive ink that costs more than the freaking printer that locks up more than in Office Space.

We know better, of course, but that's besides the point. Gnome is made for that piece of the market and Novell understands that their customers and users that use SuSE instead of Windows do care about computers and that they need to adres their needs by going back to KDE. Easy.

Comment

No really, Gnome as default is the most voted down feature in openFATE history.

Check it out your self.

https://features.opepeoplensuse.org/307495

• Votes: 74
      • Positive: 15
      • Neutral: 1
      • Negative: 58

vs

• Votes: 603
      • Positive: 469
      • Neutral: 9
      • Negative: 125
      I don't think you can draw very strong conclusions from these numbers. The number of voters is ridiculously low. Do less than 700 random users (who, judging from the comments, don't really think about their decision) decide what happens to the OpenSuse project?

Furthermore, there are even less voters for the GNOME poll than for the KDE poll. This is bad, and it leads to a funny result: apparently there are more people against KDE as a default than there are people against GNOME as a default.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        We know better, of course, but that's besides the point. Gnome is made for that piece of the market and Novell understands that their customers and users that use SuSE instead of Windows do care about computers and that they need to adres their needs by going back to KDE. Easy.
        Novell prefers Gnome, which is the desktop used in their commercial SUSE versions.

openSUSE went KDE because a) the majority of their userbase prefers it, and b) they wanted to make a point about them not being ordered around by Novell so they can prove they're really an independent, community distro.

Comment

You are making a tiny mistake: the people that would want Gnome (business personel, your grandparents and the avarage n00b) probably weren't even aware of openFATE. I mean, how much percent of everybody does even care about computers? 90% or more probably hates these 'things' that cost a shitload of money, just to browse through electronic mail and then print it with expensive ink that costs more than the freaking printer that locks up more than in Office Space.

I'm not business personnel, a grandparent or an average noob, and I still like GNOME. It's a desktop environment with sane defaults and it doesn't get in the way. Though one thing that I like about the Suse decision is that it differentiates Suse from Ubuntu and Red Hat. For better or worse, Suse is now a very different Linux.

Comment

• "openSUSE", not Suse, that's a different distro which uses only Gnome.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              "openSUSE", not Suse, that's a different distro which uses only Gnome.
              Actually that is not correct, SuSE is the versions before they went to the community based openSUSE. SUSE Enterprise Desktop / Server is the name of their commercial product. SuSE existed way before Novell even got a hold of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remco View Post
                I don't think you can draw very strong conclusions from these numbers. The number of voters is ridiculously low. Do less than 700 random users (who, judging from the comments, don't really think about their decision) decide what happens to the OpenSuse project?

Furthermore, there are even less voters for the GNOME poll than for the KDE poll. This is bad, and it leads to a funny result: apparently there are more people against KDE as a default than there are people against GNOME as a default.
                Of course there are less votes on the Gnome suggestion, they are a much smaller group in the openSUSE community. The ratio stays consistent though. The decision wasn't made however based solely on the openFATE results. Items such as downloads of the liveCD's which are separated by Gnome and KDE as well as items like updates being downloaded, registration results, and surveys. Your implication that Gnome users are the less savvy is quite frankly kind of insulting to that group. Their users, just like KDE range from complete n00bs to experts in the field. I also present to you the flipside that people that are migrating from windows will probably feel more at home with KDE's layout and operations vs Gnome's implementation which is very different then windows but is more akin to OS X then windows.

Comment

Novell decided on Gnome for one reason only. To utilize their acquirement of Ximian.

Comment

• triple kill there deanjo

Comment

Of course there are less votes on the Gnome suggestion, they are a much smaller group in the openSUSE community. The ratio stays consistent though. The decision wasn't made however based solely on the openFATE results. Items such as downloads of the liveCD's which are separated by Gnome and KDE as well as items like updates being downloaded, registration results, and surveys.
                      Those are all better indicators for user preference, indeed. The openFATE results are useless because of vote stuffing, unknown participants, and press coverage (I think that may have caused the imbalance between the GNOME and the KDE polls).
                      Your implication that Gnome users are the less savvy is quite frankly kind of insulting to that group.
                      How do you figure I implied such a thing?
                      Their users, just like KDE range from complete n00bs to experts in the field. I also present to you the flipside that people that are migrating from windows will probably feel more at home with KDE's layout and operations vs Gnome's implementation which is very different then windows but is more akin to OS X then windows.
                      It's all a matter of who you want to attract, and then formulating a strategy. Ubuntu tries to be "Linux for human beings", which means normal users without a technical background. I guess the decision for a DE was influenced by that, as well as where Canonical focuses its resources (user experience).

Comment

Working...
                      X