No announcement yet.

Red Hat's Plymouth Sees New Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DirectFB has yet another set of drivers (in addition to the kernel drivers, the Xorg drivers, and the Mesa drivers) which are naturally incomplete.

DirectFBGL claims to use Mesa/DRI, but there is little to no information about it on the website (all the links from the DirectFBGL introduction page are broken).

DirectFB is a PERFECT example of why KMS/GEM/DRI2/Gallium/etc. are awesome. It removes the need for the DirectFB team to maintain yet another set of (incomplete and buggy) drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      DirectFB has yet another set of drivers (in addition to the kernel drivers, the Xorg drivers, and the Mesa drivers) which are naturally incomplete.

DirectFBGL claims to use Mesa/DRI, but there is little to no information about it on the website (all the links from the DirectFBGL introduction page are broken).

DirectFB is a PERFECT example of why KMS/GEM/DRI2/Gallium/etc. are awesome. It removes the need for the DirectFB team to maintain yet another set of (incomplete and buggy) drivers.
      You know when the DirectFB will benefit from the new GEM/KMS drivers?

I would like to see the DirectFB running at full speed on my Linux 2.6.31 with the new GEM/KSM drivers!!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
        same here...
        when i read the descritption of the new plugin i thought, when is all this supposed to happen when we are working so hard to have insant-on computers...
        We won't have instant-on computers for a long time unless you are resuming from suspend. It's mostly a matter on what you want to look at during the twenty or so seconds during the boot imo. It's not like you couldn't get rid of the graphical boot things in Fedora trivially.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
          Will KMS utilize more graphics modes so that we don't have, for example, a 1024x768 splash screen followed by a 1280x800 X Server login screen?
          This of it this way: X server uses KMS to set display resolution. KMS will have all graphics modes that X server will have, no more, no less.

Comment

The idea with KMS is not *more* modes, but the ability to go into the desired mode very early in the boot cycle and stay there right through X initialization and ongoing use of the system.
            Test signature

Comment

Working...
            X