Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Plymouth Sees New Work

Phoronix: Red Hat's Plymouth Sees New Work

Not a lot of work has gone into Red Hat's Plymouth project since the release of Fedora 10, but now in the middle of the development cycle of Fedora 11 we are seeing some new work emerge. Plymouth is a boot splash program that leverages kernel mode-setting to provide a rich, flicker-free boot experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For some reason I read "Red Hat's Plymouth sees New York" the first time...
    It was only after I read the article that I realized it is "New Work", not "New York" :P

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
      For some reason I read "Red Hat's Plymouth sees New York" the first time...
      It was only after I read the article that I realized it is "New Work", not "New York" :P
      same here...
      when i read the descritption of the new plugin i thought, when is all this supposed to happen when we are working so hard to have insant-on computers...

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
        same here...
        when i read the descritption of the new plugin i thought, when is all this supposed to happen when we are working so hard to have insant-on computers...
        I'm thinking it will be like an extended lightning flash then, much like the mode setting when it's done outside the kernel. Only then, the flash consists of nice gfx

Comment

Atm there's not really a lot of documentation out there (I've read doc in the git tree), so excuse me, if I ask:

Which files exactly would one have to tune to get it to work with let's say Debian?

I'd like to give it a try (in fact I've got modesetting working here nearly without issues) but I realize that changing the boot-process of a system doesn't seem to be an easy task (at least if you are not involved into such stuff).

Are there any plans for Debian?
          (No, I'm not asking about Ubuntu and their upstart.)

Comment

Originally posted by AliBaba View Post
            Atm there's not really a lot of documentation out there (I've read doc in the git tree), so excuse me, if I ask:

Which files exactly would one have to tune to get it to work with let's say Debian?

I'd like to give it a try (in fact I've got modesetting working here nearly without issues) but I realize that changing the boot-process of a system doesn't seem to be an easy task (at least if you are not involved into such stuff).

Are there any plans for Debian?
            (No, I'm not asking about Ubuntu and their upstart.)
            Well you'll need a kernel and graphics card that plays nice with KMS. This basically means you'll need the latest kernel and either an intel or ati graphics card.

Upstart is actually a replacement for the SystemV init system. Plymouth is more parallel to ubuntu's Usplash.

Comment

Who cares about plymouth?

In many ways it feels as though plymouth is a very small upside from kms. The wayland project on the other hand seems like it can make a real difference in the users experience after the brief boot window.

Comment

Ideally, the transition from the boot splash animation to the login screen should be as seamless as possible.

Will KMS utilize more graphics modes so that we don't have, for example, a 1024x768 splash screen followed by a 1280x800 X Server login screen?

Comment

Well KMS certainly is seemless, but my understanding is the display modes don't necessarily need to change.

One really nice change will be running X without giving it root priviledges.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
                    Ideally, the transition from the boot splash animation to the login screen should be as seamless as possible.

Will KMS utilize more graphics modes so that we don't have, for example, a 1024x768 splash screen followed by a 1280x800 X Server login screen?
                    From what I've seen so far, KMS (and therefore Plymouth) sets, among other things, the resolution to the preferred one right away, which means that once that has been done, all the things (Plymouth, X, and then fullblown GDM) are booted and displayed without any flickering / screen resolution changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X