No announcement yet.

ATI dropping support for <R600 - wtf!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fglrx driver also contains code shared across multiple OSes, and all the OSes except Linux have strong DRM (Digital Rights Management, not Direct Rendering Manager) requirements. It's certainly possible to pick the driver apart and separate out the bits which can be safely exposed, but the result would look a lot more like ground beef than like a steak

Note that Intel doesn't release docs on all the hardware in their chips either. That is not meant as criticism; we are all dealing with the same constraints here. I didn't think IBM ever supported open source driver development for their graphics chips; Our FireGL guys might remember -- they used IBM GPUs before switching to ATI).

In all seriousness, I don't think documentation or sample code is a factor for power management or for higher levels of OpenGL support.

Power management is primarily waiting for things to settle down in the command submission portions of the driver stack so that power management code can dynamically adjust to drawing workload and display modes etc...

OpenGL 2.1 theoretically comes for free once Gallium3D drivers are running on 3xx-5xx. Gallium3D in turn is currently built over DRI2 and GEM/TTM, which are also in progress.

For anyone wondering why we expect the open source drivers to make you happy even if fglrx did not, the reason is simple. The open source drivers are aimed directly at the mix of functionality and performance that most of you are asking for and *only* contain code for that functionality. Fglrx is still aimed primarily at professional workstation users on a small set of enterprise Linux distibutions, and includes well over 10x as much hardware-specific code as the open source drivers.

You really need all that code to get every last bit of 3D performance out of the GPU, but a *much* smaller driver can provide all the functionality most of you expect along with perhaps 70% of the performance -- and can be tweaked to work well on a wide variety of distros and systems much more readily than our workstation driver.
    Last edited by bridgman; 05 March 2009, 04:03 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      In all seriousness, I don't think documentation or sample code is a factor for power management or for higher levels of OpenGL support.
      Great then! So we can expect open source 3D rendering as fast as fglrx?
      Power management is primarily waiting for things to settle down in the command submission portions of the driver stack so that power management code can dynamically adjust to drawing workload and display modes etc...
      So, I guess this is WIP?
      OpenGL 2.1 theoretically comes for free once Gallium3D drivers are running on 3xx-5xx. Gallium3D in turn is currently built over DRI2 and GEM/TTM, which are also in progress.
      What about OpenGL 3.0?

You really need all that code to get every last bit of 3D performance out of the GPU, but a *much* smaller driver can provide all the functionality most of you expect along with perhaps 70% of the performance -- and can be tweaked to work well on a wide variety of distros and systems much more readily than our workstation driver.
      WTF??? Only 70%? So I guess I won't be playing Nexuiz on high resoultion with all effects turned on on an open source driver?

I'd understand 90+%, but 70%?? That's just not enough, or is it?

Comment

I don't really get why people complain about this move. You can't maintain those things forever, especially when you have a good alternative. It is just a proof that AMD's open source strategy pays off. I mean, effectively, dropping Catalyst support for <R600 means that many Windows users will have to either switch to Linux or buy a new card in order to use the latest technologies. Linux users, on the other hand, will continue to profit from the development of the FOSS driver(s), backed by AMD or community-driven. Also, as someone here pointed out, more people moving to the open source drivers will help squashing bugs etc. So the ones who'll really profit from this move are the Linux users -- I'd be more pissed off if I were using Windows and knew Catalyst had some bug that's never going to get fixed.

Honestly, I'd have them completely drop Catalyst support for Linux and have a few more people working on FOSS drivers.

Comment

Hold on a minute here bridgman, I was kind of under the impression that fglrx shares most of its code with the Windows drivers and you had some "Unified Driver Architecture" type middleware in the mix. Is that simply not true? Is the fglrx driver a completely different codebase specifically written for professional applications, in comparison to the gaming-oriented Windows drivers? And what's this 70% number? Are you telling me that Linux open source solutions will only have just over two thirds the performance of the current fglrx driver, which is already a fair distance behind the Windows blobs? What are we looking at, half the framerate? Excuse me if I find that hard to swallow.

Comment

The performance of the driver will depend entirely on how much optimization the open source devs. are willing and/or able to put into the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
              Hold on a minute here bridgman, I was kind of under the impression that fglrx shares most of its code with the Windows drivers and you had some "Unified Driver Architecture" type middleware in the mix. Is that simply not true? Is the fglrx driver a completely different codebase specifically written for professional applications, in comparison to the gaming-oriented Windows drivers?
              The fglrx driver shares big chunks of code with other OSes, and includes code paths for both workstation and consumer products. I call it a "workstation driver" because both the development and test focus of the Linux-specific bits are biased towards professional workstation use, particularly in terms of distro support (RHEL and SLED are not the most common consumer distros).

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
              And what's this 70% number? Are you telling me that Linux open source solutions will only have just over two thirds the performance of the current fglrx driver, which is already a fair distance behind the Windows blobs? What are we looking at, half the framerate? Excuse me if I find that hard to swallow.
              AFAIK the Windows and Linux binary driver performance should be pretty much identical today; I think Linux stopped being "a fair distance behind" around the end of 2007.

I asked our architects what performance levels they felt could be obtained with a "clean, simple, well written driver" but without any application-specific performance optimization and their estimate was an average of between 60 and 70% of proprietary driver performance.

We have released enough programming info to get to 100% but the driver code size and effort grows exponentially as you go far that last 30%. Getting the last bit of performance optimization out of a driver/GPU combination is extremely time-consuming and just plain hard work -- and none of the devs I have spoken with feel it will be necessary.

This was based on the assumption of identical performance between Windows and Linux; if you are seeing something different (other than running through Wine) please let me know.
              Last edited by bridgman; 05 March 2009, 04:43 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

I asked our architects what performance levels they felt could be obtained with a "clean, simple, well written driver" but without any application-specific performance optimization and their estimate was an average of between 60 and 70% of proprietary driver performance.

We have released enough programming info to get to 100% but the driver code size and effort grows exponentially as you go far that last 30%. Getting the last bit of performance optimization out of a driver/GPU combination is extremely time-consuming and just plain hard work -- and none of the devs I have spoken with feel it will be necessary.
                So, this means only 2100 out of 3000 FPS with glxgears on my Mobility Radeon X1600. (in 3rd powerstate) I'm not impressed. Sorry. FGLRX gave me 2500+ FPS in 2nd powerstate and over 3000 FPS in 3rd powerstate.

But, one day I'll learn how to make drivers and I'll optimize my copy of radeon to get 100% of my card. That's the beauty of open source.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
                  So, this means only 2100 out of 3000 FPS with glxgears on my Mobility Radeon X1600. (in 3rd powerstate) I'm not impressed. Sorry. FGLRX gave me 2500+ FPS in 2nd powerstate and over 3000 FPS in 3rd powerstate.

But, one day I'll learn how to make drivers and I'll optimize my copy of radeon to get 100% of my card. That's the beauty of open source.

Glxgears in not a benchmark. And you can't really blame ATI for the state of the open source drivers... not anymore at least. The info. is available. Developers have the task of making the drivers and optimizing 3D performance.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about glxgears in my posts; I didn't want to have to explain to the architects why everyone uses a benchmark which hardly uses any of the GPU functionality

The dev community is already working on the top priorities for improving 3D performance in the open drivers :

#1 - memory manager (needed for GL 1.5 and higher) - GEM/TTM

#2 - redo the command submission and buffer management code (current driver stack doesn't pipeline CPU and GPU operation as much as it could) - bufmgr, radeon-rewrite

#3 - shift to a driver model designed around shader-based GPUs rather than fixed-function GPUs (ie Gallium3D)

Once those are done (and all are making great progress) I think you'll see driver development move back to the incremental improvements you are used to seeing. Right now there is perhaps 18 months of work accumulated in branches and alternate code paths, and all of that should start to show up in releases over the next few months.
                    Test signature

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about glxgears in my posts; I didn't want to have to explain to the architects why everyone uses a benchmark which hardly uses any of the GPU functionality
                      So, glxgears actually doesn't fully utilize GPU?

The dev community is already working on the top priorities for improving 3D performance in the open drivers :

#1 - memory manager (needed for GL 1.5 and higher) - GEM/TTM

#2 - redo the command submission and buffer management code (current driver stack doesn't pipeline CPU and GPU operation as much as it could) - bufmgr, radeon-rewrite

#3 - shift to a driver model designed around shader-based GPUs rather than fixed-function GPUs (ie Gallium3D)

Once those are done (and all are making great progress) I think you'll see driver development move back to the incremental improvements you are used to seeing. Right now there is perhaps 18 months of work accumulated in branches and alternate code paths, and all of that should start to show up in releases over the next few months.
                      OK, now I understand: latest open source drivers are actually in good shape regarding performance, but those latest bits of code still aren't included in most of distributions (what users actually see). So, could we see good open source 3D performance and power management by the end of this year (I mean in Ubuntu 9.10/Fedora 12)?

Comment

Working...
                      X