No announcement yet.

AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two of my ATI cards will be dropped (R300 and R500). But I've just found out that I have a 3rd ATI card.

Does anyone know if fglrx will continue to support this card?
    Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Comment

• I totally agree!

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      Fedora isn't a distro for endusers! Fedora is the DEV platform for RedHat Server OS!

Its Like Debian SID/sidux SID is not a Distro for endusers!

USE stable Distris Like Debian 5 or use CentOS or Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)

STOP Talking abaut the Crap Fedora!

Thank you, and this needs to get out to everyone. I'm so sick of seeing articles comparing Dev distros with SUPPORTED distros.

Comment

• I think the confusing thing about Fedora is that it is different things at different points in the RHEL development cycle. Sometimes it's a bleeding edge test platform running three months ahead of upstream; other times it's a real nice distro with the newest features decently integrated and fixed up. AFAIK you have to talk about specific Fedora releases, not Fedora in general.
        Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
          Thank you, and this needs to get out to everyone. I'm so sick of seeing articles comparing Dev distros with SUPPORTED distros.
          Eh? As far as I know nobody ships XFree86 anymore (thank God) so everybody's running Xorg and the big difference between stable and development heads of distros is the package version, nothing more.

For example, CentOS is neither development nor supported; it's stable in versioning but not actually part of the development downstream.

Comment

• I don't use fglrx for my Radeon 9550 but I've found that I have to install it, if only briefly, to get any acceleration with any WINE-based products.

Once I've installed fglrx, I can then remove it and go back to the xorg-video-ati driver, retaining acceleration in WINE/Cedega but if I can't even install it, come Ubuntu 9.04, the usefulness of my PC is going to be severely hampered.

Anyone else experienced this bug and know a way around it that doesn't involve installing and uninstalling fglrx?

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
              you know - people like you are pretty useless for the linux ecosystem ...
              Why has everybody to be useful for the "linux ecosystem"? I'm a user, not a developer. I provide bug reports and other feedback to the projects I care about. Sometimes, I even donate money.

But a driver is something the company that built the hardware *has* to provide. ATI claimed they support Linux (that's why I considered a laptop with ATI graphics in the first place), so I took them at their word. And they've let me down for five long years. If it was possible to switch my graphic card, I would have done that three or four years ago, because even then I was already sick of it.

As I said before, I won't need another driver from ATI. You know, a pleased customer buys more. So does an unpleased one, but from the competition. So if you want to call that "whining" - please, do so. Call your customers whiners as loud and as public as possible so that other people also learn what ATI thinks of them and how little it cares about long-term company-customers-relationship.

It's this kind of short-sightedness that kills companies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                It's this kind of short-sightedness that kills companies.
                Can you really call actively supporting the development of FOSS drivers (releasing docs, paying someone to work on the code) is really "short-sightedness"? I'd call it long-sightedness, if anything. The very thing which is so hard to find today in for-profit companies.

I think you're missing the bigger picture a bit, to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
                  Can you really call actively supporting the development of FOSS drivers (releasing docs, paying someone to work on the code) is really "short-sightedness"?
                  Dropping a driver that (in theory) fully supports my hardware for another one that will give me about 70% of the performance is *not* a step forward, even if the latter is FOSS. You just seem not to get it: being free software is not that important with a hardware driver like it is with other software. It certainly does not outweigh the loss of features and performance.

If they would provide a "legacy" driver like NVIDIA does, I would be completely satisfied. Fix the remaining bugs and provide updates for new kernel and X versions on a regular basis. Doesn't need to be monthly and new features are not required.

The short-sighedness is that they kept pissing me off for five years and now, finally, spat in my face one last time. I'm done with ATI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                    Dropping a driver that (in theory) fully supports my hardware for another one that will give me about 70% of the performance is *not* a step forward, even if the latter is FOSS. You just seem not to get it: being free software is not that important with a hardware driver like it is with other software. It certainly does not outweigh the loss of features and performance.

If they would provide a "legacy" driver like NVIDIA does, I would be completely satisfied. Fix the remaining bugs and provide updates for new kernel and X versions on a regular basis. Doesn't need to be monthly and new features are not required.

The short-sighedness is that they kept pissing me off for five years and now, finally, spat in my face one last time. I'm done with ATI.
                    Forgive me for being picky, but since you mentioned earlier AMD promised to support your card on Linux: did they just promise to support it (like the driver does, and fairly well at that), or did they promise feature and performance parity with Windows? I really doubt that, honestly.

You're being a bit double-faced here. On the one hand, you ask AMD to keep their proprietary driver up-to-date and say you don't care about whether something is FOSS or not, on the other hand, you expect that closed driver to work with the latest FOSS technologies. This sounds to me like you've bought something that was meant for A and now you complain it doesn't work with B.

In other words, you're asking for the impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
                      Forgive me for being picky, but since you mentioned earlier AMD promised to support your card on Linux: did they just promise to support it (like the driver does, and fairly well at that), or did they promise feature and performance parity with Windows? I really doubt that, honestly.
                      I wrote that before, but again: About 80% of the time since I bought my laptop, at least one of the core features of the driver was broken. So no, I am not talking about "feature and performance parity with Windows", I am talking about OpenGL at a reasonable speed, Video Overlay and TV-Out. But instead of making these features work and stable, they spend their time to squeak another half FPS out of the driver to show of to the gamer boys.

Comment

Working...
                      X