AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stormking View Post
    I don't care for the well-being of AMD or the performance of a driver I cannot use. Don't you people get it? 90% of the users are simply not interested in any of this closed vs. open source sh*t or the long-term-development of AMD. They just want a working driver for the hardware they own now.
    Which explains why 90% of the users use... Windows? Seriously, a person using Linux usually has other, varying needs than "it should just work". Even Linus acknowledges this attitude is not the worst thing when he wants to use "the best tool for the job", so you're even not bound to lose face if you switched.

Point is: if you're on Linux, you have other, _more_ considerations than a working driver. I mean, if you just want to it to work, you already have an OS where it works and will probably continue to work for a while, so why not use it? Is compiz etc so great you cannot give it up for aqua etc? It will never boil down to "a better graphics experience", it was always and first the _other_ issues.

So others, me included, want open source, not just for performance, also for visibility, openness, portability, security and a good gut feeling no one's calling home (and the ability to verify it). If having all this means that performance will suffer a bit -- although it's always improvable --, then I understand and accept that.

I think the problem here is not AMD, but people using their Windows-orientated vision of how software should be on Linux. AMD has been doing all the right things and you still complain -- reeks of _that_ (in my eyes inferior) computer using culture to me.

I mean, otherwise we'd be all using Windows, no?
    Last edited by susikala; 06 March 2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
      Point is: if you're on Linux, you have other, _more_ considerations than a working driver. I mean, if you just want to it to work, you already have an OS where it works and will probably continue to work for a while, so why not use it?
      You seem to have a very limited view on the reasons why people use Linux. In my case, it's not because it is OSS. And it's not because Windows is buggy or because of all the malware and so on. I use Linux because I like its architecture. I like the Unix way of doing things.

I started computer stuff on AmigaOS and never became used to Windows. And I don't want to. You sound as if there's nothing between the mainstream Windows user and the Open Source Evangelist. Guess what, there is plenty.
      Last edited by Stormking; 06 March 2009, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
        Your rousing rhetoric has redoubled my resolve. I shall drop out of school, shut myself in my room, and live off ramen and water until the drivers utilize the full capabilities of the hardware.

Oh, wait. I already live off ramen and water. Shoot. Guess I'll have to find some other way to make it evident that I already spend most of my spare time on this project.
        I for one am happy with this move by AMD, because I use open drivers and with no fglrx support open driver may only get better ...

So keep up the good work you are most awesome

Comment

You seem to have a very limited view on the reasons why people use Linux. In my case, it's not because it is OSS. And it's not because Windows is buggy or because of all the malware and so on. I use Linux because I like its architecture. I like the Unix way of doing things.
          Hm, I mentioned more than enough aspects to _not_ be labeled as having 'a very limited view on the reasons why people use Linux'. Add to that that saying 'I like the Unix way of doings things' is too ambiguous to be able to reply to. Does that not entirely or partly fall under any or some of the aspects I mentioned? I seriously doubt that.

Then again, if I get your point correctly, for you using Linux oder Solaris or AIX has no difference whatsoever -- even though if you want to play games and actually use your card, you still need to stick to Linux itself.

Comment

even though if you want to play games and actually use your card, you still need to stick to Linux itself.
            Which requires a blob to do so right now in any true usable form. Had the 3d performance of the blobs been up to snuff you would see next to no griping. Everyone here is not complaining so much that they are dropping support in the blobs but more to the fact that they are doing so before a complete featured and performance oss alternative is out. In short, the timing stinks. Another thing that is annoying is that even though the drivers in windows are also pushed to legacy, at least they will still have incremental updates to fix show stopping bugs where the linux blobs are simply being abandoned with no maintenance.
            Last edited by deanjo; 06 March 2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Which requires a blob to do so right now in any true usable form. Had the 3d performance of the blobs been up to snuff you would see next to no griping. Everyone here is not complaining so much that they are dropping support in the blobs but more to the fact that they are doing so before a complete featured and performance oss alternative is out. In short, the timing stinks. Another thing that is annoying is that even though the drivers in windows are also pushed to legacy, at least they will still have incremental updates to fix show stopping bugs where the linux blobs are simply being abandoned with no maintenance.
              I can somewhat agree about the timing; it could have been better, but a matter of a few months isn't that horrible on a Linux-timeframe. I bought my A780 board in 10/08 and suffered every moment from (pretty much) unusable video playback (teary xv or cpu-intensive gl). Eventually, the specs + FOSS drivers changed that and now I can actually get quite a lot out of this relatively weak gpu. So waiting (about 5 months in my case) pays off.

And again -- the specs are there, if you want spiffing 3d performance, get to work.

Hm, I didn't know the drivers on Windows will have incremental updates, that changes the picture, of course. Then again, it's still justifiable from ADM's pov. Most of their customers use Windows.

Edit: I think I'm trying to make a not very far-fetched point here. If you use Linux, you cannot expect the same level of support as on Windows -- although ironically you get on a per-user basis much more.
              Last edited by susikala; 06 March 2009, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Not sure if this has already been mentioned but ExtremeTech reported that the older graphic chips will get quarterly updates instead of monthly although I guess that might just be the windows drivers?

Originally posted by ExtremeTech
                After Catalyst 9.3, products prior to the R6xx generation of graphics cards (that go by the Radeon HD 2000 series brand names) will be changed to "legacy support status." This means that these products will get quarterly WHQL driver updates, instead of monthly updates. AMD assures us that these products will still receive critical "hotfix" drivers if high-priority fixes are needed.
                ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

Comment

Then again, if I get your point correctly, for you using Linux oder Solaris or AIX has no difference whatsoever -- even though if you want to play games and actually use your card, you still need to stick to Linux itself.
                  Genau so ist es.

Comment

Genau so ist es.
                    Da braucht man eh wieder FOSS-Treiber, also ich find die Argumentation hier ist etwas zirkul?r geworden.

Comment

Da braucht man eh wieder FOSS-Treiber, also ich find die Argumentation hier ist etwas zirkul?r geworden.
                      oh...is that klingon?

Comment

Working...
                      X